> > > Response below.
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

proceedings
> > provide
> > measures

> > research.
> > > >
> > > ******
> > >
> > > The methodological problem had to do with the assumption that
the
> > reduction of oxygen
> > > consumption was due to TM practice. If I remember correctly,
it
> > went something like this:
> > >
> > > Subjects sitting quietly with eyes open were compared to their
> > measurements taken while
> > > meditating. The drop in oxygen consumption was attributed
entirely
> > to TM.
> > >
> > > Subsequent research showed that just sitting quietly with eyes
> > closed reduced oxygen
> > > consumption by the same amount as TM.
> > >
> > > It was a bombshell that hardly anyone noticed. "O2 consumption
> > twice as low as the
> > > deepest point of sleep" had been the "proof" of TM's
profundity;
> > now TM was equivalent to
> > > sitting quietly with eyes closed.
> > >
> > > The next development was "metastudies" which showed that,
> > according to "global"
> > > measures, TM produced a state of rest twice as deep as deep
sleep.
> > The claim was the
> > > same, but no longer based on a starkly simple, irrefutable
> > measurement. Now it was
> > > teased out of the statistics.
> > >
> > > The whole thing was smoothed over within a few months.
> > >
> > > L B S
> > >

> > **************
> >
> > Mebbe so, but what TMer has not experienced the lessening of
breath
> > (which subsumes lessening of oxygen consumption), so it's a just
> > measurement problem -- it's not false that oxygen consumption is
> > significantly lower in TM.
> >
> @@@@@@@
>
> Exactly, Bobananda. However, it would be indistinguishably lower
than if you were just
> sitting with eyes closed.
>
> L B S>>>

I have never in my life had anything like the experience of breath
suspension that I get from TM, by just sitting with my eyes closed.
The two are ENTIRELY different states of physiology, and if someone
measures me when I am in that state of breath suspension they will
wonder how my body is maintianed. There are yogi's who can sustain
it for days, with VERY low oxygen consumption. Mine is unstable and
I cannot cause it at will, but it is the same thing in lesser form.

OffWorld