 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:23 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Why astrology is rubbish.

Oh scientist Salyavin Raj, you still
didn't answer this question:
Without looking them up, do the names Simon, Bretagnon and
Chapront mean anything to you?  Are they a folk singing trio?

They'd be better off singing folk songs if they think the position of Jupiter
has anything to do with my personality.

Otherwise I'll just keep you seated in the peanut gallery. :-D

I'm happier up there if the people on the stage are charlatans.

I used to know how to draw up horoscopes, I did it the old way with an
ephemeris and set of logarithmic tables. The maths is way complicated - you're
much better off doing it with a computer programme - but it doesn't have to be
that hard. The trouble with astrology is that all the positions of planets in
their "houses" assume that the Earth is the centre of the galaxy with
everything else revolving around it. This is one of the things that put me off.
The other one is that if you do a couple of charts and forget to put the
subjects names at the top there isn't any way of working out whose it is. LOL.

On 08/04/2014 01:34 PM, salyavin808 wrote:

>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>

>There
are different systems of
Jyotish.  Some are regional to India.  K N Rao
explained that many
families who practice astrology have "secret
techniques" and he
traveled throughout India to learn some of these.
Also many
village astrologers use simple techniques and yet have
good
predictions.

>Anecdotes are not
data. You can't expect me to accept people's word on anything especially
something as esoteric as planetary
influences.

>If someone told me
the world is made up of random particles that act
like waves when they aren't being measured but
offered no hard proof we'd all laugh yet quantum
physics one of the cornerstones of human
achievement. It's undeniable but all I get from
astrologers is that some types are better than
others and predictions aren't to be trusted but I
can't see what the point of it might be if it
doesn't give you any sort of reliable clues.

>It ought to be
nailed down by now, I think the reason it persists
is the same reason religion does, it's a meme that
offers comfort. Astrology is a way of linking us to
some grand picture and gives life a meaning it
didn;'t have before, it must be reassuring but I
think we've gone one better in finding out that the
atoms we are made of were created inside stars.

>Generally if you can read a person's past accurately
then you can
predict on the basis of that those predictions will
come true.

>Hell, I can do that.
People are such creatures of habit you don't need
Jupiter! It's unexpected things we like a bit of
warning about and how is astrology about that?
Totally random of course. Except the TM variety that
tells you something bad is going to happen and sells
you a yagya to prevent it. There should be laws
against it.

>However
they should sound more like a weather report as it is
an
abstract field and not exact.

>Random patterns will
be inexact...

>Things that are generally false don't tend to get
passed down
throughout history.

>Oh I don't know,
Christianity seems to be doing OK, amongst other
bizarre ideas.  The comfort of religious beliefs
outweighs the suspicion they may be a load of crap,
there are stronger human forces than logic.
Astrology will keep going because it offers a lot
and people just like it. It has never proved itself
scientifically and that is the acid test for it
because we humans are great at kidding ourselves, a
good experiment can lay bare the truth of that. The only
reason we know the earth goes round the sun is
because someone tested it, things can hang around if
they sound good and will easily resist contrary
evidence if the belief is preferable to the ugly
truth.

>So I appreciate the
arguments but I remain unconvinced. The proof will
be when I win the lottery tomorrow

>Astrology
is NOT one of those things,
however.  It tends to ring true when properly
practiced and
science is at a loss to understand why though there is
little
funding for research into that.  I go with the theory
that the
planets were really used as time markers not for their
influence.
Only the Sun and Moon have much influence on our
lives.  And since
they couldn't see Neptune and Uranus they couldn't
have used them
as broader time markers.

>There was some research a few years ago about the time
of day a
child is born as well as the time of year.  Here I
believe that
children are like blank slates and out of the womb
begin taking in
the world which influences their personality as they
grow.  Their
surroundings will also influence their destiny and
what obstacles
they will find in life.  The time  of day a child was
born would
be noted in ancient time by the constellation as a
time marker.

>I couple year's back I read an interesting blog
article from an
astrologer who found that beginner astrologers
sometimes made
better predictions than experienced ones.  Beginners
may rely more
on intuition than the rules that seasoned astrologer
use.  Again
an abstract art and sometimes a basic glance may be
more correct
than taking "all things into consideration."
Otherwise you can
get into rules that "this cancels that" when maybe it
never did
work that way.

>On 08/04/2014 12:10 PM, Michael Jackson mjackson74@... [FairfieldLife] wrote:
>

>>Feste, I am not asking you to be too
personal,
but I am curious as to what kinds of things
you gained
from your readings. The ones I had done,
particularly
the last one by Brent BeVar certainly
explained a lot
of things IF I was willing to buy into the
entire
matrix of belief that said for example that
it would
have been impossible for me to have any
money for a 16
year period due to my moon being in the
house of the
guru which is also supposedly the house of
loss and
expenditure. So great for spiritual
endeavors, but bad
for money. This coincided with the period
that I was
at MIU and the period just after, when I got
into
channeling.

>>So
how can you or
did you use the chart to understand self
better?

>>________________________________
rubbish.

>>The last thing I need to do