 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 3:17 PM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Alternative Therapy

 Salyavin, speaking only for myself, one reason I go for alternative therapies
is to avoid the horrible side effects of allopathic medicines.

 Just make sure that if something serious takes hold you get yourself down to
the local hospital, I've seen the results of not doing that too many times....

 ....but only since I've been involved with the TMO. Funny that, but then they
do cultivate an ant-science stance, they have to really, it's either that or
explain why ayurveda never onto the BMA list of approve treatments. If western
medicine is fundamentally bad we don't have to compete.

 On Friday, August 22, 2014 10:24 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Salyavin, one could just as easily say that Science is another way we have of
kidding ourselves!

 Not really, the whole point of science is that we have a system of testing
that tells us whether we are kidding ourselves, hence the double blind trials
in medicine. It's the gold standard for beating kiddology.

 Same with all branches of science, it allows you to say with some certainty
that what you have is knowledge rather than belief and knowing that the
certainty isn't complete allows for further refinement all the time. 5000 years
of thinking that the Earth is flat doesn't mean that it is or ever was.

 As for a system like Chinese medicine, it is based on centuries of
observation, about 5,000 years of observation. It may not be Modern Science,
but it certainly carries some validity. Certainly way more than just one or two
personal anecdotes!

 How was the observation carried out though? If it was just people with
self-reported problems getting a bit of relief then we can be sure it's all
make believe with a random element of chance throwing up a treatment for
something. Until a proper test is carried out you are just hoping for the best.
As far as I can google, Chinese herbal medicine has failed every test other
than that expected by chance alone.

 I've looked in the window of my local Chinese medical centre and all the
treatments offered are just pampering for the worried well, they don't seem to
tackle anything serious. It's for anxious westerners with nothing wrong with
them to get a bit more out of life if they can.

 But there's no harm in it (I hope) but make sure you see a proper doctor if
there is something serious wrong with you.That's my advice anyway...

What interests me is why people go for things like this, maybe modern medicine
is too impersonal for a lot of people. Not a good enough bedside manner from
the doctor, who knows? The lure of ancient stuff sure is strong, I imagine it
ties in with the belief that life was better in the olden days and we can learn
from them despite the massive infant mortality rate and low life expectancy.

 On Friday, August 22, 2014 6:39 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Salyavin, first of all, I think the FDA who approves drugs in the US, is
corrupt and thus I don't trust what they say about the safety of any drug.

 And this is based on?

 Secondly, wrt alternative modalities, my "sacred cow" happens to be Chinese
medicine rather than ayurveda. It's simply worked better for me.

 If it survives adequate testing then it's as good as any other. I don't think
it will though, powdered Tiger penis might sound like a potent formula but it's
a placebo like most other folk medicines. Not that there aren't potential gems
there it's just that until the shit is sifted out by scientific method you are
relying on personal anecdote and all the afforementioned ways of kidding
ourselves that we have.

 On Friday, August 22, 2014 3:15 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Actually I have seen death listed as a possible side effect of some
prescriptions. It would win Irony of the Year if it wasn't so horrifying.

 I know people who have died because they stuck to ayurvedic snake oil when
they had cancer. Amrit Kalash has somehow gained a reputation as being good for
treating tumours because it apparently kills them in a petri dish - I'm not
sure of the TMO still uses that as a selling point but vaidyas used to
recommend doubling or tripling the dose if you had cancer (think your pills are
expensive?). Trouble is, things dying in a lab don't behave in the same way in
the human body.

 Irresponsible? Of course, MA4 is an untested "drug" with no known effects,
side or otherwise. In fact, it's 99% ghee and sugar with a few berries mixed
in. I know people who died, seriously, they could have had chemo and surgery
and the chances are they'd still be here.

 The new age can keep its "modalities" until they are tested and proven to have
some therapeutic worth. Don't die of ignorance.

 On Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:18 PM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Oh, I thought by "proper doctor" you meant one who would prescribe pills that
cost $100 each and list the following possible side effects: vomiting,
headaches, rashes, death, chills, fever, leg cramps...

 When have you had those, and did they treat the condition being prescribed
for?

 Did the side effects all manifest? They usually don't, they list everything
reported by the test groups to cover themselves.

 Homeopath's have no need to list side effects you know, water is generally
rather safe due to it being inert if that makes you happier....

 On Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:02 PM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 dear Salyavin even though it frightens me to ask: exactly how do you define
"proper doctor?"

 One that doesn't prescribe you untested snake oil or placebo's obviously.
Someone with an actual medical training perhaps, who can spot health problems
and actually do something about them rather than wave a hand over you while
chanting in sanskrit.

 Didn't we have this conversation last week?

 On Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:14 PM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>