--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Just a quick adder on the quality of protein in veg diets. Some
people think you can't get enough quality protein from veg sources.
Its just not true.

> snip

> There's the question of the body's ability to assimilate the
nutrients in foods.

Agreed. Though a veg diet seems much more digestible to me. Tofu --
its gotta be more easily broken down than chicken, and certainly beef.

> I tried for a long time to go veg. and be careful about getting
enough protein but felt low energy the whole time.

Maybe it was lack of iron or B-vits, not protein. Proper cooking (and
or chopping), and chewing is important. I often use a food processor
to finely chop veggies -- for salads, or light low heat cooking -- to
improve absorbsion.

And yes, one needs to supplement a veg diet with plenty of with b12.
And iron -- which can be obtained by good vegetables --- kale and
chard in particular. Its a myth that one needs beef for sufficient iron.

> Anyway, my body felt totally different after eating meat compared
to a high-protein veg meal.

Some times its the high carbs in a high protein veg meal. One can get
adequate protein from rice and beans -- but the carb load is so high,
it can have bad effects on the body, particularly energy levels -- and
on how one feels.

> I'm not discouraging people from veg. diets, just to say always go
by how your body/mind is feeling, not just the theory.

Yes, ultimately diet needs to make you feel good. But good research is
good too, so one is clear on what the body needs, and what foods
provide it. There are a lot of misinformation and mythhs out there
that a bit of research can dispel.