I recall how everyone raved at Renee Zellweger's British accent in "Bridget Jones Diary" but I thought it was horrible. These days though it's possible for American actors to have good foreign accents. I think back in the day that there was more demand for foreign actors to do American accents than for American actors to do foreign accents. But now there are good voice coaches who can make an American sound like they're from across the pond. In some cases this is due to accent reduction courses for Americans wanting to work or teach in other countries. In our computer age a lot of the accent reduction principles have been reduced to a short list to help anyone lose their accent when needed.

I became familiar with this trying to help my tantra guru find some accent reduction courses and tutors in the SF Bay Area and they are plentiful here.