 The noise you produce was even worse when playing inside a room with a
microphone in a video you probably deleted.  For good reasons.

M: I haven't deleted any videos but then I don't post all of the ones of me. My
two CDs are at CDBaby.com. I have sold thousands of them and won some awards
for them. I am very proud of them. Each contains 6 original songs and 6 covers
songs preserving the acoustic blues era and performed live as a one man band in
the studio. With Christmas coming I'm sure you will want to buy several for
your family and friends. Curtis Blues | CD Baby Music Store
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/CurtisBlues

 http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/CurtisBlues

 Curtis Blues | CD Baby Music Store http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/CurtisBlues
Listen to and buy Curtis Blues music on CD Baby, the independent record store
by musicians for musicians.

 View on www.cdbaby.com http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/CurtisBlues
 Preview by Yahoo

Reflecting on my job through this discussion has been interesting. One aspect
of my job is public and because everyone believes their opinions are so
precious they share them freely. It is a big obstacle for many artists and some
are tormented by it long into their rise to fame and fortune. The key is to
focus on your own artistic standards and the people who you solicit opinions
from: people you trust and people you pay. I paid a producer to help me with my
second CD and the results were so much better than my first. The advice was
invaluable and helped me grow as an artist.

Imagine this Nabbie. Some guy you have never met, a friend of a friend on
Facebook sees a shapshot you took on vacation posted by someone else. It may or
may not have been the one you would have chosen but they posted it so you live
with it. The guy posts pictures by Ansel Adams next to yours and begins to
offer you advice about lighting and composition and tells you that you suck as
a photographer. Now inside you are thinking that you have to please yourself
and your boss and you make good money, so who cares what this guy thinks, right?

That's my world. I have many temporary bosses who I have to please with my
music and since you don't buy my CDs or hire me for shows, your opinion about
my music is none of my business, literally.

But you took some time to form an opinion and I appreciate that. My problem is
not people who don't like my music, it is people who have never heard it. That
is a huge problem for any artist because we are all working a numbers game. We
need to find the people who dig what we do. I am making a comfortable living
from those people now. But I have to find the other people who are like them.
That is the hardest part of making a living in any art form. And that is why I
say: thanks for your opinion, but excuse me there is a customer behind you and
you are blocking my view.

I have pushed back a bit on some of your criticism of my busking show because
most people do not understand what busking is and what it takes to make
substantial money at it. Most musicians who try it don't take the time required
to master it as a separate art from just playing music. To survive you have to
play flashier and  because people didn't pay to see you. You have to sing and
simplify your playing in a way that can be sustained for hours at high volume.
It is never your best artistic work. Then you have to take a huge humility pill
that most of the people who pay you are paying for your interaction with them,
not the music. The show is bigger than your playing. You have to engage them
while playing at the same time. It is F'n difficult and can only be learned on
the job.

But after years of practice the rewards are that you are auditioning for people
to hire you for private parties and festivals so you pick up work that way, you
can make an hourly wage equivalent to a high level computer programmer, sell
thousands of CDs to people who would otherwise not know you exist, and meet
interesting people from all over the world who love this kind of music.

You, Nabbie, are just one of the thousands who pass by without giving me a
thought, or who decide they don't like what I do.To make a living as an artist
means that you keep your head straight about who you are trying to please. I am
not trying to convert unbelievers, I just need to find the people who hear me
and feel the way I do about this music and how I play it. I know you were
hoping to make me feel badly about what I do, but I am afraid that ship sailed
long ago.

 N: You see now that I find you extremely pretentious
M: Says the guy who doesn't play giving musical advice to someone who makes
their living from it...

N: and perhaps, though I doubt it,  understand why I find your criticism of
Maharishi as silly as your playing.

M: Well you have had ample opportunity to counter anything I have posted about
Maharishi with a reasoned argument Nabbie, but have instead preferred to try to
attack me personally including your unsolicited opinions about how I make a
living.

Getting back to the reason you started this whole attack on how I do my
job...your comments equating Michael with terrorists were way out of line,
which is why I called you out on them.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 M: Thanks for the well intentioned advice Nabs. I'll take it to heart. What I
am getting from you is that when I am singing outside without a mike to an
audience many meters away, I should sound more like a guy sitting in the corner
of a quiet recording room inches from a mike. And when I am covering a fast
Elmore James song I should play it like another song that is slower.

You got some mighty fine ears on ya boy!

 "If Curtis were as bad as you say, what do you think he should do to improve?"

 Good question. First of all I'd recommend practise, practise, practise. He
could start by hitting one note at a time, just one note and listening to it,
how it sounds, vibrates and how the sound slowly disappears. Just that, very
simply and innoscently create one sound, and then listen to it, how pleasing is
that sound, does it sound better doing it in another way ?  And again, and
again, and again. By doing this one acquires an understanding of the basics and
a love for the note itself. Without this basics one is lost and will never
achieve anything. One should understand that the ability to play fast on any
instrument is not the same as playing music. To be able to play slowly is the
hallmark of a professional.
  Many amateurs, like Curtis, make this mistake; they skip the basics and try
to convey too much.
 I recommend you to listen to the video I posted by Robert Johnson. Where is
the showmanship in this ? There isn't any because his heart is in it. When you
listen to this, perhaps you better understand my disgust when fellows like
Curtis comes along claiming to play the blues.

 Robert Johnson - Kind Hearted Woman Blues (1936)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

 Robert Johnson - Kind Hearted Woman Blues (1936)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A This Song contains the only guitar
solo Robert Johnson ever recorded. I very good example for his amazing talent.
He plays rhythm and lead guitar on one inst...

 View on www.youtube.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A
 Preview by Yahoo