S3,

 Huxley didn't appear to know about the advantages of meditation.  Obviously,
during his lifetime, TM was not around then.

 Aldous Huxley quote (1931):
 "So far as I can see, the only possible new pleasure would be one derived from
the invention of a new drug — of a more efficient and less harmful substitute
for alcohol and cocaine. If I were a millionaire, I should endow a band of
research workers to look for the ideal intoxicant. If we could sniff or swallow
something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as
individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and
make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful
and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a
kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged
constitution — then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one
small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth
would become paradise."

 Sounds great - but I suspect that humans are so constituted that changing our
brains with chemicals is always going to have unwanted side-effects.

 I used to buy Ritalin over the counter, in Macau, and did a fair amount -
Yuck. Couldn't get weed, but any big pharma drug was there for the taking. Bad
situation.

 Re "Cocaine DEFINITELY sucks":

 Amen to that. Like you I only tried it a few times and the after-effects were
a warning I heeded. Ditto speed.

 God knows what I'd have felt like after a methamphetamine binge (the drug of
choice today) - pretty sure I'd be suicidal.