On 11/20/2014 7:44 PM, fleetwood_macncheese wrote:

Honestly, I believe Barry to be incredibly naive, culturally unsophisticated, and with no greater than average intelligence. A perfect candidate for hypnosis, and/or mood-making, around all this levitation nonsense he has dreamed up. He cannot explain it, because it simply never happened. Poor guy.

/It doesn't matter to me what Barry does or thinks - all I'm responding to are the hypocritical and prejudiced statements he posts almost every day. Otherwise it's all just grist for the mill now - without The Corrector around to help us moderate these guys.

Seriously, it's not that I don't like the guy - I've never met him, it's the arrogant taunting and elitism that grates on me and the exaggeration, puffing himself up.

Plus, he makes himself the largest target around - he deserves to be reminded that he's not so special and he doesn't have all the answers.

The way I see it, my job is not to answer questions, but to question answers. Every statement, when taken to extremes, will be found to be self-contradictory./

How do we explain Barry's conviction that he witnessed Lenz rise up from the ground?

Premise 1: The laws of physics imply that levitation events as claimed by Barry are improbable-verging-on-the- impossible. Premise 2: Barry is not communicating with us from the padded cell of an institute for the incurably insane. Premise 3: One in five people are suitable subjects for deep-hypnosis experiences. Premise 4: Frederick Lenz was a hypnotist. (This seems likely in view of the testimony of ex-followers who do claim that Lenz could use mass hypnosis.)

It's commonplace in hypnosis work to induce negative and positive visual hallucinations - I've seen Derren Brown convince someone that he (Derren) was invisible and that objects moving around in front of him were levitating - though we observers could see Derren himself simply lifting up and putting down the items. I can't see why a hypnotist couldn't persuade people that he was floating mid-air.

That may not even be necessary: if Lenz was simply to give someone a post-hypnotic suggestion that they'd have the /memory/ of having seen the master float - then induce amnesia of what was said during the hypnotic trance itself - the subject would faithfully recall the miraculous event. As 20 per cent of people are natural somnambulists, maybe Lenz selected from that group to be in his inner circle. Barry may not be naturally somnambulistic but as he's been into lots of weird shit he's probably trained himself to enter altered states.

So I wonder if Barry recalls ever being formally hypnotised by Lenz?

Maybe someone has another explanation?

  • [FairfieldLife]... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]