New for 2016!

 They did not even mention, 'Yogic Flying'

 http://communications.tm.org/2015/documents/LetterToWorldLeaders.pdf
http://communications.tm.org/2015/documents/LetterToWorldLeaders.pdf

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 On the individual level, published research has shown that certain powerful
stress reducing methods can neutralize even severe stress, including
post-traumatic stress (PTS), within days—calming hyperactivity in the amygdala
(“fear center” of the brain) and restoring balanced brain functioning in
servicemen and -women, veterans, and victims of violence in war-torn areas.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 On a societal scale, the approach of restoring calm and quelling social
violence through the use of similar techniques by small embedded groups in
society has been extensively field tested—in the Middle East and throughout the
world. The consistent result has been marked reductions in terrorism, war, and
social violence in the affected populations. These findings have been
replicated in more than 50 studies, published in leading peer-reviewed
scientific journals, and endorsed by hundreds of leading scientists and
scholars. The efficacy of this approach is scientifically beyond question.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Research Confirms Effectiveness.

 The initial experimental verification of this new approach took place during
the 1982 Lebanon war. A day-by-day study of an embedded group of peace-creating
experts in 1983 showed that, on days when the number of participants was high,
war deaths dropped by 76% (p < 10-7 ). In addition, crime, traffic accidents,
fires, and other indicators of social stress all decreased significantly. Other
possible causes were statistically controlled for (Journal of Conflict
Resolution 32: 776–812, 1988).

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 These results were subsequently replicated in seven consecutive experiments
over a two year period during the peak of the Lebanon war. The results of these
interventions included:  • war-related fatalities decreased by 71% (p < 10-10)
 • war-related injuries fell by 68% (p < 10-6 )
 • the level of conflict dropped by 48% (p < 10-8 )
 • cooperation among antagonists increased by 66% (p < 10-6 )

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 The likelihood that these combined results were due to chance is less than one
part in 1019, making this effect of reducing societal stress and conflict the
most rigorously established phenomenon in the history of the social sciences
(Journal of Social Behavior and Personality 17(1): 285–338, 2005)

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <awoelfleba...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Doug, it *may* be a better approach. However, it has, as of yet, to really be
proven. To the average person, it sounds more than a bit much. Maybe one day
the* movement* will allow independent studies of all of their claims. Till
then, we are perceived as snake- oil salesmen and not taken seriously. The
general public sees us as a benign cult and a bunch or weirdos that dress and
talk funny and generally have odd behavior and beliefs. But one day....

 I think if they want to teach TM in schools or in prisons or to the men and
women with PTSD that is great. But, for me, when I think of TM I think of the
70's and the 80's (this is when I was practicing it and attending MIU etc) and
it seems dated to me. While I have no problem with the technique or anyone
practicing it, all the other hooplah seems like a money grab and borders on a
bunch of hooey. If the die hards sitting around moldering on Purusha or Mother
Divine want to continue to do so, all the power to them but this is for the
equivalent of the fanatics in TM, IMO. The fact that some of my former
classmates at the ripe old age of nearly 60 choose to live in FF is fairly
quaint I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage it. That part seems all about
community, though, which is fine as it is probably better than retirement in
some old folks home.