> On Jan 9, 2006, at 11:35 AM, a_non_moose_ff wrote:
>
> > The second dimension of the discussion is whether MMY uses such a
> > technique on the inner circle, and larger circles to a lesser
> > degree, and that this provides a quite rational explanation for
> > what many view as "bizzare" behavior. You may feel it does not, I
> > feel it does.
>
> This has also been Dr. Pete's observation as well. Why do you feel
> it does?

He's already explained this several times (quoted as
well in the post you were responding to, but you appear
to have deleted that part).

> It is also similar in some ways to the chapter in Steve Brigg's
> book (which I believe Rick had posted a while back) where M.
> deliberately tries to test him, or so he claims. He fails the test
> because he has not surrendered to everything his guru utters.
>
> I was left wondering if this is the similar style of testing used
> by dictators and the like.

Guilt by association is always a useful propaganda
technique.  But as I suspect you know, Vaj, "surrendering
to the master" is not exactly an approach MMY invented;
in fact, I believe it could even be said to be traditional.

Whether it's a "test" that one passes or fails, or
simply a teaching technique, is another question
that probably depends on the specific circumstances.

Also, MMY has spoken about his own development of
consciousness via surrendering to Guru Dev.  What he
describes includes tasks he was set by Guru Dev and how
Guru Dev then pulled the rug out and had him undo the
tasks or switch to something else entirely, very much
like what MMY appears to be doing with his close
followers.

There's a lengthy discussion in MMY's Gita commentary
(don't have it to hand at the moment) about not being
attached to results that might shed light on this
question as well.