--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here in context is the Guru Dev quotation about the supernatural
> powers of the 'Indian law-giver':
>
> 'Today it is usual to be pleased at measuring the material weight
of
> the cow stock; but remember now of the subtler-than-the-subtlest of
> material knowledge of cow stock of the excellent dharma and
> usefulness, the very whereabouts may not [now] be connected with,
> that was evident through supernatural powers to that Indian law-
> giver. The greatness and holiness of cow stock, in you is the one
> which is subtler-than-the-subtlest, the cause and form, the reason
of
> keenness of the elements, for their investigation and knowledge the
> yantra (instrument) of modern material scientists will always
remain
> too crude. Right here is also the cause of the clever twentieth
> century knowledge - the secret that in the hairs on the body of the
> mother cow the gods are dwelling, and the dawn sighting of a cow,
the
> worship of the cow, the cow-god etc - remaining unsuccessful in the
> understanding of the real truth. The universal feeling is held of
the
> holiness of the cow herds and that whether one bears the truth to
> himself by way of intellect, attainable experience or confident in
> the way of the shastra, not by physical instruments.'

I have *no* idea what he's saying here.  It reads
to me like a BabelFish translation.  (My deficiency,
I'm sure.)

> I believe by advocating and living by the Shastras that Guru Dev
> believed he was serving the best good to those he taught. I believe
> too that MMY believed he served the best interest of westerners
> when he de-Hinduised the teaching of meditation. But I don't
> believe either of them were above believing as fact what many would
> consider fiction. And this I find particularly curious, that
> enlightenment can apparently occur without necessarilly disabusing
> an indivual of the sometimes fictional content of inherited wisdom.

It raises the question of exactly what kind of
"knowledge" it is that becomes available to higher
consciousness, that is supposedly "structured in
consciousness."

Similarly with "inherited wisdom."  What part of it
is that knowledge structured in consciousness, and
if not all of it, how is the rest to be characterized?

Does the latter influence the expression--i.e., the
communication--of the former, or vice-versa, or both?
Can they be distinguished at all?  Can they be in
conflict?

How much does the individual personality affect what
the enlightened person believes to be true?

And does enlightenment guarantee knowing the answers
to any of these questions?

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
> > <premanandpaul@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I have a similar take on this,
> >
> > But you said you thought Guru Dev's take was "entirely
> > contrary" to that of MMY.  I was suggesting it wasn't
> > that different.

I'm still curious about this.