> > > Just to add, I'm not suggesting one should strictly
> > > limit oneself to a standardized vocabulary.  It's
> > > something to start from, to use as a basis, then
> > > elaborate on, depart from, whatever, as appropriate.
> > > It can even be used negatively--e.g., "It *wasn't*
> > > like this. Instead, it was like..."
> >
> > But what's the *point* of all this "communication?"
>
> You're the guy who's always calling for people to
> discuss their experiences.  You tell me.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have
*had* experiences.  I have almost no interest
in hearing from those who've only read about
them or heard about them.  :-)

> > Seems to me that often it's people who have not had
> > a particular experience trying to "understand" the
> > experience, on the basis of hearing it described or
> > theorized about.
>
> Is that why you keep insisting on hearing about
> other people's experiences?

Do you repeat yourself in other contexts this often? :-)

>  With many spiritual experiences,
> > I've found that the people who *had* the experiences
> > don't understand them. Many of them are honest enough
> > to say so.
>
> What's the point of describing an experience, then,
> if there's no understanding behind it?

Just for fun, to throw words out, see if they
work this time, and when realizing that they
don't, to laugh at oneself?  :-)

> > I guess the bottom line from this point of view, is
> > that I'm just more of a fan of having experiences
> > than sitting around talking about someone else's
> > experiences.
>
> So again, why do you put such importance on
> folks describing their experiences?

The "importance" you attach to my interest is, like
many things you write about, all in your mind. :-)

> You even
> claim that people who don't must not have had
> any.

Usually when they're on record previously as stating
for the record that they haven't.  Such as yourself
in several cases. :-)

> You've also asserted that the TMO discourages
> talking about experiences (although that isn't
> the case, at least since I learned TM) in order
> to cover up the fact that TMers aren't having
> any experience.

I still think that's true.  You can believe whatever
you want.  As if you wou wouldn't anyway.  :-)

> > That can be fun if one finds the
> > discussion or the experiene being discussed
> > interesting, but I'm not convinced that hearing
> > about it is going to either really help you
> > understand it or prepare you for the experience
> > itself.
>
> No, as I suggested in the post you're responding
> to, such descriptions are most useful in the other
> direction, i.e., after one has had an experience.
> At any rate, that's been the case for me.  (I
> believe that's what Michael was saying as well.)
>
> > *On the other hand*, from another point of view,
> > there may be some value in hearing the vibe "behind"
> > the words that a person uses to describe an exper-
> > ience that they know is indescribable. The words
> > themselves mean nothing, but perhaps the vibe
> > behind the words can provide a "pointer" to an
> > intuitive feeling about the actual experience,
> > a finger pointing to the moon.
> >
> > Given the second point of view, I would say that
> > there is a greater likelihood of profiting from a
> > discussion of a spiritual experience with someone
> > who has actually had the experience than from a
> > discussion among people who haven't.
>
> Uh, right.  I don't think anybody was suggesting
> otherwise.
>
>  In the former
> > case, the "vibe" might slip through underneath the
> > words; in the latter case, there is no "vibe" to
> > slip anywhere, only theory.
>
> I kind of doubt there's much of a "vibe" in an
> electronic posting, although there may be in a
> "live" setting.

I disagree. You can either feel it or you can't.
Several people here are on record as saying they
can. If you can't, that's your problem, not theirs.