> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> <fairfieldlife@> wrote:
> > on 2/20/06 10:33 AM, hugheshugo at richardhughes103@ wrote:
> >
> > > I still think the truth is always clear though and I will be
> > > interested to see the expressions on my believer friends
> > > faces when they find out their guru, who they think speaks
> > > with the voice of god don't forget, is not as pure as they
> > > thought.
> >
> > Are you going to tell them? It will be interesting to see
> > if they believe you. I think it would be healthy for most
> > if they did, as I don't believe that continually attuning
> > one's "thinking" to that of someone who is clearly
> > out of whack can't be too healthy.
>
> Bingo. That's the real issue, for seekers. Whether
> it is told to them as part of an org's dogma or
> whether they bring the belief with them to the org,
> an important part of many spiritual trips is what
> I call "mind-modeling," what you referred to as
> "attuning one's thinking to the teacher."
>
> It's a powerful tool of self discovery, IMO one of
> the most powerful. But it's a two-edged sword. If
> the teacher whose mind you are attempting to attune
> yourself with has positive qualities, those qualities
> are enhanced in yourself as a result of that attune-
> ment. If the same teacher has a few lingering less-
> than-positive qualities, those will *also* be
> enhanced in the seeker.
>
> So IMO it's a good idea, from time to time, to take
> a few steps back and really *examine* the mind that
> you're trying to attune yourself to. Do you really
> *want* all that you see there? Because you're going
> to get it *all* as a result of the mind-modeling,
> not just the parts you want.

Nicely put.

I think there is a need among people of all religions to think they
are in contact with a higher power, that they alone know the truth.
The main problem with eastern techniques is that total devotion to
the guru is considered the fastest way to the top, OK if your man's
on the level but I have never been convinced enough with MMY. Maybe
I'm not the type, too independent for a lot of the TM folk I know.

I've heard so many people say "Maharishi said it so it must be true"
about any ludicrous statement god it drives me nuts but you can't
reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into so I let
them get on with it.