> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:22 AM, TurquoiseB wrote [to trinity,
> who speaks first below]:

> > > Not "pefectly," but you're right...people do tend
> > > to re-believe the people they've believed before.
> > > This often tends to be an enormous trap, as when
> > > they believe that Maharishi says about politics
> > > is valid just because what he said about how TM
> > > seems to work was valid.
> >
> > Really a key point here is the validity and authenticity
> > of the teacher. There are real teachers and there are
> > charlatans--both go by the same name: teacher.
>
> Ah, but who gets to "validate" or "authenticate"
> the "real" ones? Again, we're back in the realm
> of "trusting experts."
>
> I'd say instead that a more relevant "key point"
> is the willingness to retain one's critical
> faculties and perform one's *own* "validation
> and authentication" of the teachers one encounters
> and what they teach.
>
> This is, sadly, a fairly rare trait. More common
> is "belief out of habit." If the teacher in question
> seems to have said something valuable in the past,
> many people tend to *stop* evaluating what that
> teacher says in the future. Instead, they just
> buy into it out of habit.
>
> > Furthermore some people by their own obscurations
> > and karma will instinctively find the latter, others
> > possessing different patterns which are free of such
> > concerns, find someone to point out their true nature.
>
> Again, though, who gets to say what is the student's
> "true nature?"
>
> I'm not arguing that there aren't charlatans out
> there; there are. But even the charlatans may teach
> valuable stuff, just as the "real" teachers may
> teach garbage. The key to me seems to lie in
> preserving that tendency to evaluate each thing
> that one's teacher says on its own merit, here and
> now, in real-time, *without regard for* the things
> the teacher may have said in the past.
>
> Easier said than done. We're all creatures of
> habit, and tend to take the easy path rather
> than the one that requires a little effort.

Agreed. Spiritual growth is no different than our body's growth.
First, we need the teacher like a parent and unquestioningly follow
what they say. And we look for that parental figure to guide us. (I
personally never followed a teacher for more than a day if I didn't
sense they were right for me.)

Then I continued to follow Maharishi as a child follows his parent.
Until it was clear by the direction I was taking this was no longer
possible. Then it was time to leave home, to go Home.

Bye, bye Baby, bye bye...