--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_astute_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Perhaps you are mixing apples and oranges. How many "elites" -- for
> simplicity lets say those making over $300,000 /year, go to the
local,
> ubiquitous type of kinda funky yoga  studio at the local small
mall?

> Not many. They go to an expensive health club or spa to learn the
same
> thing. Many other examples possible where those making good incomes
> are willing to pay a large premium for conveninece, competence, and
> "class" (nice surroundings, people like them). Why do they pay $400
> night to stay in a nice hotel when the local Motel 6 also has a bed
> and shower? Why do they pay 35,000 and $300 a month to belong to a
> private golf club when they could use the local public one for free?
>
> And while I am not saying it will happen, its not out of the realm
of
> possibilities that a wave of new high grade and respected research
> will be published on TM. This would (further) differentiates TM from
> other techniques -- (even if research would show the same for other
> programs -- if it does not exist, TM will be strongly
differentiated.)

You mean like the 15 or so studies found in this pubmed search that
have been published on TM in the last 18 mnonths?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

keyword [including quotes] "transcendental meditation"

Items 1 - 20 of 240    Next

1:  Yamamoto S, Kitamura Y, Yamada N, Nakashima Y, Kuroda S. Related
Articles, Links
 Medial profrontal cortex and anterior cingulate cortex in the
generation of alpha activity induced by transcendental meditation: a
magnetoencephalographic study.
Acta Med Okayama. 2006 Feb;60(1):51-8.
PMID: 16508689 [PubMed - in process]

2:  Wijk EP, Koch H, Bosman S, Wijk RV. Related Articles, Links
 Anatomic characterization of human ultra-weak photon emission in
practitioners of transcendental meditation(?) and control subjects.
J Altern Complement Med. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):31-8.
PMID: 16494566 [PubMed - in process]

3:  Walton KG, Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Salerno JW, Nordstrom CK,
Bairey Merz CN. Related Articles, Links
 Psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease Part 2: effectiveness
of the Transcendental Meditation program in treatment and prevention.
Behav Med. 2002 Fall;28(3):106-23. Review.
PMID: 16463759 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4:  Arthur HM, Patterson C, Stone JA. Related Articles, Links
 The role of complementary and alternative therapies in cardiac
rehabilitation: a systematic evaluation.
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2006 Feb;13(1):3-9.
PMID: 16449858 [PubMed - in process]

5:  Krisanaprakornkit T, Krisanaprakornkit W, Piyavhatkul N,
Laopaiboon M. Related Articles, Links
 Meditation therapy for anxiety disorders.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Jan 25;(1):CD004998. Review.
PMID: 16437509 [PubMed - in process]

6:  Rasmussen LB. Related Articles, Links
 [Transcendental meditation and smoking cessation]
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2005 Sep 22;125(18):2526-7. Norwegian. No
abstract available.
PMID: 16186885 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7:  Walton KG, Schneider RH, Salerno JW, Nidich SI. Related Articles,
Links
 Psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease. Part 3: Clinical and
policy implications of research on the transcendental meditation
program.
Behav Med. 2005 Winter;30(4):173-83.
PMID: 15981895 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8:  Chalmers R. Related Articles, Links
 Transcendental meditation does not predispose to epilepsy.
Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(3):624-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 15913905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9:  Barnes VA. Related Articles, Links
 EEG, hypometabolism, and ketosis during transcendental meditation
indicate it does not increase epilepsy risk.
Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(1):202-3. No abstract available.
PMID: 15893151 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10:  Orme-Johnson DW. Related Articles, Links
 Transcendental meditation does not predispose to epilepsy.
Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(1):201-2. No abstract available.
PMID: 15893150 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11:  Collins MP, Dunn LF. Related Articles, Links
 The effects of meditation and visual imagery on an immune system
disorder: dermatomyositis.
J Altern Complement Med. 2005 Apr;11(2):275-84.
PMID: 15865493 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12:  Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Staggers F, Rainforth M, Salerno JW,
Hartz A, Arndt S, Barnes VA, Nidich SI. Related Articles, Links
 Long-term effects of stress reduction on mortality in persons > or =
55 years of age with systemic hypertension.
Am J Cardiol. 2005 May 1;95(9):1060-4.
PMID: 15842971 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13:  Orme-Johnson DW, Barnes VA, Hankey AM, Chalmers RA. Related
Articles, Links
 Reply to critics of research on transcendental meditation in the
prevention and control of hypertension.
J Hypertens. 2005 May;23(5):1107-8; author reply 1108-9. No abstract
available.
PMID: 15834299 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14:  Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Staggers F, Orme-Johnson DW,
Rainforth M, Salerno JW, Sheppard W, Castillo-Richmond A, Barnes VA,
Nidich SI. Related Articles, Links
 A randomized controlled trial of stress reduction in African
Americans treated for hypertension for over one year.
Am J Hypertens. 2005 Jan;18(1):88-98.
PMID: 15691622 [PubMed - in process]

15:  Walton KG, Fields JZ, Levitsky DK, Harris DA, Pugh ND, Schneider
RH. Related Articles, Links
 Lowering cortisol and CVD risk in postmenopausal women: a pilot
study using the Transcendental Meditation program.
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec;1032:211-5.
PMID: 15677413 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

16:  Parati G, Steptoe A. Related Articles, Links
 Stress reduction and blood pressure control in hypertension: a role
for transcendental meditation?
J Hypertens. 2004 Nov;22(11):2057-60. Review. No abstract available.
PMID: 15480086 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17:  Canter PH, Ernst E. Related Articles, Links
 Insufficient evidence to conclude whether or not Transcendental
Meditation decreases blood pressure: results of a systematic review
of randomized clinical trials.
J Hypertens. 2004 Nov;22(11):2049-54. Review.
PMID: 15480084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

18:  Walton KG, Schneider RH, Nidich S. Related Articles, Links
 Review of controlled research on the transcendental meditation
program and cardiovascular disease. Risk factors, morbidity, and
mortality.
Cardiol Rev. 2004 Sep-Oct;12(5):262-6. Review.
PMID: 15316306 [PubMed - in process]

19:  Kaski JC, Aldama G, Cosin-Sales J. Related Articles, Links
 Cardiac syndrome X. Diagnosis, pathogenesis and management.
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2004;4(3):179-94. Review.
PMID: 15134470 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

20:  Barnes VA, Treiber FA, Johnson MH. Related Articles, Links
 Impact of transcendental meditation on ambulatory blood pressure in
African-American adolescents.
Am J Hypertens. 2004 Apr;17(4):366-9.
PMID: 15062892 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

> And its not unreasonable the the "new" TM (taught in a SV bulidng,
by
> teachers doing program 6 hours a day, living in SV house, etc) may
> have positive factors associated with it.
>
> It is not a differentiated set of qualities that you would pay a
> premium for. The top 2-5% of the population may very well be willing
> for the "right" product. Again, I am not saying the new TM will fill
> the bill, but its not an unreasonable conjecture that it might.

I think it will and in fact, is.