<nelsonriddle2001@>

<fairfieldlife@>

> > > +++   Does "I is" sound right?  Some of the modern English
seems to be
> > > getting out of hand.  N.
> >
> > Good question.  "Barry am" can't be right, though.
> >
> > I had originally written "are," but that's not correct,
> > because "neither/nor" takes a singular verb.
> >
> > I can't think of any way to get around "Barry am"
> > or "I is."  Suggestions?
> >
> +++ Maybe Barry and I are not-  we are not (collective)  not sure.
>     Having failed English one year in high school and, getting
> remarkably poor grades in it, I have observed that some of the
> sentence structure I see in the news papers would get you thrown out
> of school altogether in the early fifties.
>     It looks like no one ever heard of a split infinitive which is a
> major gripe and, I am expecting to see "throw the horse over the
fence
> some hay" any day now.   N.

"To go boldly" sounds stupid compared to "to boldy go." The reason
why we "can't" split an infinitive is because Latin simply CANNOT.
English CAN, and the verb is "to boldly go," which has pretty much
the same meaning as "to go boldly" or "boldly to go," but is it's own
verb in English.

The grammarians have been wrong for what, a thousand years? That's
OK, just think of it as the last gasp grasp the Roman Church has had
on the English language.