--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_couscous_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<no_reply@>

> > > If a comedian / comedy entourage makes fun of everyone, and if
they
> > > are funny, its hard to make a case of bigotry.
> >
> > I don't recall The Onion ever having made fun of
> > black people *as a group*, or of Jews *as a group*,
> > or of Muslims *as a group*.
> >
> > > Is Margaret Chou a bigot when she makes fun of her korean
mother? Or
> > > faghags?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with Chou's jokes about her mother.  It
> > would depend.
> >As to fag hags, that's a bit different,
> > because fag haggery is a behavior of choice--usually adult
> > choice--not something one is born into or brought up with.
> > Behaviors of choice are pretty much fair game, by me.
> >
> > On the other hand, if by making fun of fag hags she's
> > also making fun of homosexuals *as a group*, that's
> > another story entirely.
>
> She is kroean so jokes about her kerean mother are hardly racist.
They
> are jokes about the differences in social groups -- old skewl, old
> country culture, and americanized younger generations.
>
> She is self-proclaimed queen of the faghags so her jokes are
> self-effacing.
>
> She makes fun of gays also, but she could hardly be called a
> homophobe. Same with Grace on Will and Grace.
>
> Regarding the Onion, I can't cite specific jokes about black people
> *as a group*, or of Jews *as a group*, or of Muslims *as a group*,
> but I almost can -- I have a generalized memory of things along
> those lines. Lets look for them as an interesting exercise. Which
> ties to my larger point -- that there are a number of comedians and
> forums that don't exclusively target any group, and also don't
> refrain from targeting any group.

Well, it ties to your larger point if these comedians
and forums make fun of blacks/Jews/Muslims etc. as a
group in the same way, i.e., to demean them.  "Demean"
is probably the key word here--as is my qualification
about folks who are born into the group or who grew up
with a particular behavior characteristic of the group.

Behavioral *choices*, especially those made in adulthood,
are another matter entirely.  As I said, they're fair game
as far as I'm concerned.

> The Onion, John Stewart, the Corbert Report, SNL, Mad TV,etc. Its
> the universality of their highlighting the foibles of all and any
> group that make them immune IMO to charges of bigotry. If you look
> at some sketches individually, they can look ghastly bigoted -- but
> when the work is taken as a whole, one realizes it humor aimed at
> the entire human comedy, not individual groups.

Yes, I understand the point you're making.  However, I'd
be really, really surprised if any of these people or
shows have ever made jokes that demeaned blacks for being
lazy, or Jews for being stingy, say, *unless* it was in
the context of making fun of the folks who say such things
seriously.