On Apr 17, 2006, at 8:52 AM, sparaig wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2006, at 8:18 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually the techniques mentioned in the article have a
> > > long and continuous history of producing fully enlightened
> > > Buddhas.
> >
> > Yeah, but they're not TM, so how good
> > can they possibly be? Get a grip, man.
>
> Gives me another bumper-sticker idea:
>
> "I'd Rather Be Unstressing"

So where is the mention of witnessing sleep in all of this? Wallace
(the Samatha researcher) doesn't mention it that I saw.

No he doesn't, although the techniques of witnessing are commonly applied nightly by practitioners of this tradition. He does teach how to do it.

DREAMING AND AWAKENING

     A 10-day Residential Training Program
     in Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga
     with Stephen LaBerge and Alan Wallace
     Kalani, Hawaii, May 10-19, 2006

     Join us for ten days and nine nights of balanced fun and focus
     on consciousness, dreaming and awakening at the beautiful,
     dream-inspiring Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center on the Big Island
     of Hawaii.

     Using the most effective techniques and technology, derived from
     Tibetan dream yoga and Western science, this workshop will provide
     an ideal opportunity to devote time to cultivating your lucid
     dreaming skills and enhancing mindfulness in waking life.

     Our program will feature group and individual exercises for
     developing awareness skills and valuable insights into the
     application of lucidity; a sleep schedule optimized for the
     promotion of lucid dreams; use of lucid dream induction technology;
     discussion sessions and personal guidance. Participants will also
     have a unique opportunity to participate in ongoing research on a
     natural substance that, according to recent studies, has been shown
     to be an effective promoter of lucidity.

     We will practice meditation and other techniques, especially drawn
     from the "Great Perfection" (Dzogchen) tradition of Tibetan Buddhism,
     designed to enhance the serenity, stability, and vividness of
     attention. The aim of such training is to experience the nature
     of our own awareness, free of all conceptual constructs. Such
     meditative training is an excellent complement to the Tibetan
     practices of dream yoga. We shall also explore the practical and
     theoretical differences and common ground between the modern
     scientific approach to lucid dreaming and the ancient Tibetan
     approach to dream yoga. The stunning environment of Kalani, the
     only coastal lodging facility within Hawaii's largest conservation
     area, will be naturally conducive to lifting our minds out of
     limiting habits of thought and action.

     Participants in our past workshops have found it a wonderful
     combination of work and play, and enjoyed phenomenal success at
     lucid dreaming, with most having at least one during the program.
     For testimonials, see: http://lucidity.com/daa/testimonials.html

     Join us this May and be assured that, in addition to having lots of
     fun and making new friends, you will experience reality in a new
     light, and the principles of lucid dreaming you will learn will
     serve you well in discovering what is important for you in your
     life, day and night.

     ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
     Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D. is a world renowned authority on lucid
     dreaming. His pioneering studies at Stanford University have brought
     scientific attention to this potentially illuminating state of
     consciousness, and his best-selling books Lucid Dreaming and
     Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, have introduced many to the
     experience. For the past 20 years, Dr. LaBerge has researched
     methods for teaching people to become lucid dreamers, developing
     techniques and lucid dreaming induction devices.

     B. Alan Wallace, Ph.D., a scholar and practitioner of Buddhism since
     1970, has taught Buddhist theory and meditation throughout Europe
     and the Americas for 30 years. He devoted fourteen years to training
     as a Tibetan Buddhist monk and was ordained by the Dalai Lama. He
     also earned an undergraduate degree in physics and the philosophy
     of science at Amherst College and a doctorate in religious Studies
     at Stanford University. Currently Dr. Wallace is the president
     of the Santa Barbara Institute for Consciousness Studies

     SCHEDULE
     Wednesday evening, May 10 - Friday morning, May 19, 2006.
     [BAW is scheduled to present May 13-17.]