> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > You have to remember that here in the US film is just a cash cow
> > > for a select bunch of jerks.   They put out low common denominator
> > > films that anyone with any taste would not waste their time seeing
> > > even for free on HDTV.   Yet the lemming go to the film in droves
> > > even if the critics declare it a disaster.  I go to matinees just
> > > to avoid crowds.
> >
> > B-b-b-but Barry says people here are *afraid* to go
> > to the movies!  I mean, he's quite sure of that; it's
> > so obvious he can see it all the way from France.
>
> Well, that should teach me not to treat Judy as
> if she were a grownup.  :-)
>
> Seriously, Judy, if you'd like to learn something
> for a change, why don't you do what I do and read
> the movie trade papers? There is an article almost
> every week about declining movie attendance,
> percentagewise per population, with one of the
> primary reasons given being a reluctance of
> audiences to go out at night, especially to movie
> houses that aren't in safe, well-lit shopping
> malls. As I remember from a recent article, a
> huge percentage of city-center movie houses have
> folded in the last decade, and the primary reason
> given for it was *not* competition from videos
> (because there was no such mass failure among
> suburban theaters) but fear of crime in the
> city centers.
>
> That said, back into the Pissant Bin you go...

There are likely as many "primary reasons" for this issue as there are writers of articles on
the issue. One important issue is the existence of cell phones since you can text-message
your friends in line for the next show with the message "don't see this! it's really lousy).
Some people give this as a reason why opening day lines are often less crowded than
expected from the amount of money spent on marketing certain films. Word gets around
WHILE the movie is still playing.