> [...]
> > On the other hand, he lacks other abilities that
> > average people have.  Maybe the brain has "room"
> > for only so many abilities, and average people have
> > more abilities but each ability is allotted a smaller
> > portion of the brain's capacity, compared to the
> > larger portions of Peake's brain allotted to each of
> > his smaller number of abilities?
> >
> > Did that make any sense??  It's sort of like a
> > library with a limited amount of shelf space.  It
> > can have books on a wide range of books, with only
> > a few on each topic; or it can specialize in only
> > a few topics and have lots of books on each.
> >

> It's more like the brain is a network of computers dedicated to
specific tasks. While any
> arbitrary computer might be able to take over some part of the tasks
of an adjacent
> computer, the most efficient way to go is to use the dedicated unit.
If a given unit is really
> large, it can do its task really well, but there's only so much
physical space available in
> your head, so if there's a larger-than-average unit there, there's
bound to be one or more
> smaller-than-average units also, and if they're too small, they
can't do their assigned task
> very well. If they don't exist, some other unit has to take over,
with drastically reduced
> efficiency.

+++ That looks like a good analogy but I would wonder if a person who
continues to be able to memorize books and supposedly doesn't have a
seperation of brain hemispheres would be likely to run out of space.
    I would be willing to bet he has more available space on his hard
drive than your Mac quad core.  N.