---Forgot to paste in the paragraph.  Here it is:

Free will - you only think you have it
Zeeya Merali
Magazine issue 2550
Underneath the uncertainty of quantum mechanics could lie a deeper
reality in which, shockingly, all our actions are predetermined
"WE MUST believe in free will, we have no choice," the novelist Isaac
Bashevis Singer once said. He might as well have said, "We must
believe in quantum mechanics, we have no choice," if two new studies
are anything to go by.

Early last month, a Nobel laureate physicist finished polishing up
his theory that a deeper, deterministic reality underlies the
apparent uncertainty of quantum mechanics. A week after he announced
it, two eminent mathematicians showed that the theory has profound
implications beyond physics: abandoning the uncertainty of quantum
physics means we must give up the cherished notion that we have free
will. The mathematicians believe the physicist is wrong.

"It's striking that we have one of the greatest scientists of our
generation pitted against two of the world's greatest
mathematicians," says Hans Halvorson, a philosopher of physics at
Princeton University.

Quantum mechanics is widely accepted by physicists, but is ...

The complete article is 1310 words long.

> Thanks, previous contributors, for posting your respective opinions
> on the relationship between free will and determinism; a topic in a
> recent New Scientist article.  Regarding the question as to whether
> the "mind" aspect to free will is or can be somehow separate from
the
> determinism of molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles; this
> controversy was not alluded to specifically, in the article.  My
> impresssion is however, that among the two protagonists (pro  vs
con
> free will); there's a tacit agreement that "mind" would definitely
be
> included as a subset in the supposed determinism of the "physical"
> particles.  Even from a Buddhist perspective, I don't see how such
> dualist agenda could be supported. In Essence, Buddhist
> is "Naturalist" but not necessarily "materialist"; but Buddhists
are
> not inclined to separate mind from matter.  But let's put this
> question aside for the moment, and assume that IF matter is
> determined, THEN mind and the alleged free will within/as mind is
> also determined by prior causes.  This (at this time) is an
> unprovable assumption, but that's the assumption(IMO) the
scientists
> have agreed upon in laying out the framework for their hypotheses.
> left the article at home and forgot my password, so I can only copy
> what's in the Newscientist website: the first paragraph.  Before
> pasting it in, I will briefly summarize the basic issues.
>  The article is entitled "Free Will, you only think you have it".;
> and alludes to the "against" free will, pro determinism researcher,
> Nobel Prize winner Gerhard d'Hooft (or something like that -- can't
> remember how to spell his name).  On the pro-free-will (against
> determinism) side, we have John Horton Conway, a famous
mathematician

http://us.click.yahoo.com/jDk17A/gOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM