--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <.  Can you
help me with the
> mind body question?
> In Essence, Buddhist
> > is "Naturalist" but not necessarily "materialist"; but Buddhists
> are
> > not inclined to separate mind from matter.
>
> Do they think of it like the traditions that posit a mental body?
>Ans:  just IMHO....perhaps Vaj can answer this in a more technical
fashion; but being a Buddhist; "mind" = what we - ordinary folks -
call (mind + matter); but I would imagine that in Buddhism, just as
in Hinduism, there are elaborate treatises on the nature of the
subtle bodies. It (philosophical and religious orientations) may
often be a matter of emphasis.  Buddhism even more than most branches
of Hinduism, emphasizes the continuum of "existence" without even
bothering (say, when you read the works of the Dalai Lama) to mention
a separation between Being, not-Being; mind and matter.  Toward the
other extreme of dualism, we can get into the Greak dichotomy between
Soul and matter (incorporated into Midieval Christianity); or, if one
refers to the Judaic Hebrew texts (Ec: 9:5), the "Soul" IS the body,
since when "you're" dead, you're in the grave, eaten by worms (but
awaiting the Resurrection of the body).
  Personally, I find the continuum aspect to Buddhism refreshing:
although I will hasten to add that I have had numerous contacts
with "dead" people such as my parents, who obviously still exist
(having subtle non-physical bodies).  But subtle or physical, bodies
are "mind" along with everything else. Thus, the determinism of
matter such as molecules would not be distinguished from the
determinism of "mind" in Buddhism.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "matrixmonitor"
> <matrixmonitor@> wrote:
> >
> > ---Forgot to paste in the paragraph.  Here it is:
> >
> > Free will - you only think you have it
> > Zeeya Merali
> > Magazine issue 2550
> > Underneath the uncertainty of quantum mechanics could lie a
deeper
> > reality in which, shockingly, all our actions are predetermined
> > "WE MUST believe in free will, we have no choice," the novelist
Isaac
> > Bashevis Singer once said. He might as well have said, "We must
> > believe in quantum mechanics, we have no choice," if two new
studies
> > are anything to go by.
> >
> > Early last month, a Nobel laureate physicist finished polishing
up
> > his theory that a deeper, deterministic reality underlies the
> > apparent uncertainty of quantum mechanics. A week after he
announced
> > it, two eminent mathematicians showed that the theory has
profound
> > implications beyond physics: abandoning the uncertainty of
quantum
> > physics means we must give up the cherished notion that we have
free
> > will. The mathematicians believe the physicist is wrong.
> >
> > "It's striking that we have one of the greatest scientists of our
> > generation pitted against two of the world's greatest
> > mathematicians," says Hans Halvorson, a philosopher of physics at
> > Princeton University.
> >
> > Quantum mechanics is widely accepted by physicists, but is ...
> >
> > The complete article is 1310 words long.
> >

> > > Thanks, previous contributors, for posting your respective
opinions
> > > on the relationship between free will and determinism; a topic
in a
> > > recent New Scientist article.  Regarding the question as to
whether
> > > the "mind" aspect to free will is or can be somehow separate
from
> > the
> > > determinism of molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles; this
> > > controversy was not alluded to specifically, in the article.
My
> > > impresssion is however, that among the two protagonists (pro
vs
> > con
> > > free will); there's a tacit agreement that "mind" would
definitely
> > be
> > > included as a subset in the supposed determinism of
the "physical"
> > > particles.  Even from a Buddhist perspective, I don't see how
such
> > > dualist agenda could be supported. In Essence, Buddhist
> > > is "Naturalist" but not necessarily "materialist"; but
Buddhists
> > are
> > > not inclined to separate mind from matter.  But let's put this
> > > question aside for the moment, and assume that IF matter is
> > > determined, THEN mind and the alleged free will within/as mind
is
> > > also determined by prior causes.  This (at this time) is an
> > > unprovable assumption, but that's the assumption(IMO) the
> > scientists
> > > have agreed upon in laying out the framework for their
hypotheses.
> > > left the article at home and forgot my password, so I can only
copy
> > > what's in the Newscientist website: the first paragraph.
Before
> > > pasting it in, I will briefly summarize the basic issues.
> > >  The article is entitled "Free Will, you only think you have
it".;
> > > and alludes to the "against" free will, pro determinism
researcher,
> > > Nobel Prize winner Gerhard d'Hooft (or something like that --
can't
> > > remember how to spell his name).  On the pro-free-will (against
> > > determinism) side, we have John Horton Conway, a famous
> > mathematician
> > > at Princeton, inventor of the "Game of Life" cellular
automaton.
> > > Interestingly, these two giants of science are "going at it"
not
> > with
> > > philosophy, but rather with mathematical formulas; but at this
> > time,
> > > d'Hooft only believes he's on the right track.  Conway differs,
and
> > > believes that the QM reality of existence is indeterminate.
> > >   However, I would add that in math, there are many hypotheses
that
> > > remain unproven, and there's no guarantee that there
will "ever" be
> > > proof pro or con.
> > >  At any rate, the basic assumption among the two combatants is
> > > that "mind" is only a subset of matter; so the question boils
down
> > > determinism vs indeterminism (thus, no free will vs free will).
> > >  Last point, the article writer brought up the interesting
point of
> > > the downside to the pro side. (Conway believes QM - and thus
> > > the "gross" level of reality...in fact: existence itself) is
> > > fundamentally indeterminate, thus allowing for free will.  The
> > > downside is that to an extreme, in the absence of determinism,
> > > RANDOMNESS is the prodominant status of QM: quantum particles
and
> > > thus all of existence as an emergent property, is inherently
random.
> > >  So, is a rather bleak tradeoff: if QM reality is
indeterminant,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lik1AB/fOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM