<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > So, tell me: for every hour you waste trying to convince ME
that
> > > global warming is occuring (and you just KNOW that I'm not
going
> > > budge from my position!), you could be spending that time out
on
> > the
> > > streets or on the phone canvassing your friends and neighbours
> > > stop consuming fossil fuels.
> >
> > Telling people to "stop consuming fossil fuels," of
> > course, doesn't do the trick.
> >
> > But debating with you about the threat of global
> > warming isn't just (or even) a matter of trying to
> > convince *you* that it's real.  This forum has a
> > fairly large audience.  Those who are interested,
> > if they follow the debate here and are willing to
> > use their heads, will find out how empty, illogical,
> > and inaccurate the arguments against that threat are.
> > If they had been taken in by those arguments before,
> > they'll now have the tools to counter them when they
> > hear them again from others who have been taken in.
>
> You don't really believe that all this gossiping we do here changes
> minds, do you?

I know it's hard for you to believe that logic, reason,
and facts could change a person's mind, or help someone
who hasn't already made up their mind decide which side
they're on.

But another possibility is simply to show people who are
already convinced about the threat of global warming how
weak the arguments against it are, so they can write more
effective letters to the editor, or to their congresscritter,
or make a better case to people they encounter who are on
the fence.  The dialectic of an extended debate gives them
ammunition.

> If anything, what we do here ENTRENCHES preconceived notions, not
> changes them.  And your debating style, Judy, is a perfect example
> of doing precisely that.  In other words: getting your opponents'
> backs up unnecessarily.  If you ever wrote a book on how you debate
> here on this forum, Judy, it would be called "Not winning friends
> and not influencing people".

And you think *your* debating style is any better??

> However, even assuming that you are correct that what we write and
> debate here is valuable in that it informs those that have
> been "taken in" as you describe it, do you really think it is a
> good use of your time WHEN ARMAGEDDON IS FAST APPROACHING?

Sure it is.

> Am I correct in assuming that you agree with new.morning that all
> the catastrophies that he listed are very likely to occur as a
> result of global warming?  Yes?
>
> Then what does that say about YOU and YOUR participation on this
> forum?  Shouldn't YOU be out on the streets, too?

??  Activism takes many forms, Shemp.  I work to further
the cause in a number of ways.

<snip>
> What we do here is gossiping, pure and simple.  It's a way of
> passing the time and I, for one, admit that I am guilty of it, too.

I'm happy for you to think of it as just gossiping,
Shemp.