On Jul 4, 2006, at 7:41 PM, Michael Murphy wrote:

Peak oil theory is based on the possibly flawed theory that world oil

reserves are "fixed" when there are some recent ideas in geology that

talk of crude oil as being a kind of natural exudate of the earth. In

other words the planet naturally produces these substances slowly

over time.

The key here is SLOWLY which makes it rather academic. We have used up reserves that

took millions or billions of years to produce in just 100+ years. We will probably use of the

rest in considerably less time.

Bottom line however is unchanged: burning and consumption of these

products is harmful to the atmosphere. Therefore we need to find less

impacting sources of energy.

Yes. Unfortunately as oil disappears we will be tempted to use more coal, which is more

plentiful.  Coal can be turned into an automotive fuel. The Germans did it durning WWII.

But it is costly and inefficient. Oddly enough more coal use could actually slow global

warming. There is a new therory, that has be substanciated to a degree, that the effects of

global warming have actually been postponed by particulate polution in the atmosphere,

which reflects much of the sun's energy.

The down side of this is that the style

of energy we are likely to adopt in transition is nuclear energy.

There is likely to be a renaisance of nuclear. However, construction, maintainance, mining

and refining of uranium, and decommissioning of nuclear plants require massive amounts

of fossil fuel. Unfortunately, many of the cleaner altenatives such as wind and solar cells

also require large fossil inputs to manufacture and sustain. Many manufacturing processes

depend on very high temperatures which are hard to produce without fossil fuels. We tend

not to realize what a integral part of technological civilization they are. History might

actually refer to the 19th, 20th, and 21st centurys as the fossil fuel civilization. That is if

there is still such a thing as history. It may be critical to get the alternative in place before

the oil to create them is gone. Otherwise it will be impossible to bootstrap new

technologies into large scale production.

The idea that it's hard or "impossible to bootstrap new technologies into large scale production" IMO is a lie. It's a lie perpetutated by corporatism--and of course inspired by energy corps and their Czars. In WW II when Germany was landloacked from oil resources they completely turned over their economy and developed a "car of the people", the "Volkswagen" and it ran on indigenous fuels. The original diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil. Let's face it, the corporations that run our government have made sure these technologies never make it to the market. A grassroots economy handed over to non-factory farmers and rendering energy policy back to the people is totally untenable to our current political situation. A government OF the people and BY the people? Get real.

Instead the solution has been more covert: develop genetically engineered strains of food which will be the only foods sustainable in the new climate. It's the only thing farmers will be able to use.

Create overt aviation fuel programs which render contrails and atmospheric, high altitude haze over large areas of the planet to help shunt some solar radiation back out into space. This technology and it's usage is already being quietly taught to our children in the public school system.

But the real danger is in what we don't know. As many mystical traditions attest, there is a bioenergetic component to all sentient life which has escaped the measurements of the priests scientific materialism. It's called prana. When an early prana scientist, Wilhelm Reich, sent his research to the Feds, he had his books burned and he was thrown into prison (where he died). Never mind the motor which ran on free "orgone" energy (as he termed it) which disappeared at the same time. Never mind his research which showed desertification was linked to prana depletion. Don't even speak of his research on human beings, it's probably still illegal to use the devices he created.

Fortunately his remaining works were sealed at Harvard till 50 years after his death. 2008 marks the end of that 50 years and from what I've seen, it's some pretty remarkable research...

It will be a pivotal next hundred years or so.