> On Jul 5, 2006, at 9:53 AM, new.morning wrote:
> >
> > Actually, as the article points out, and has been the trend for 20
> > years, coal is much cleaner than it used to be for traditioanl
> > pollutants: SO2, CO, ozone, No2, PM10 etc. The article says the
> > current [scrubbing] technology makes coal burning cleaner than natural
> > gas -- which if true -- is phenomenal. NG has long been the
> > quite-clean burning fuel of choice for new plants coming on line. And
> > is the by far largest generation fuel in areas like California.
> >
> > But CO2 (not CO) is not a traditional pollutant and is not eliminated
> > / greatly reduced by these modern scubbers. But, again as the article
> > points out, as has been the trend, carbon sequestration technology is
> > advancing. There are experimental plants that pump all CO2 into the
> > ground. So the generation is CO2 neutral. And quite low in traditional
> > pollutants.
> >
> > Some areas, as the article points out cannot pump the CO2 into the
> > ground, but can pipeline it to industrial areas. The latter needs more
> > pipeline infrastructure to be truly viable.
> >
> > Sequestration of carbon is as or more important than i)
> > energy-efficiency -- getting same power out of less energy input, and
> > ii) conservation (consuming less, substituting energy intensive
> > consumption for products and services with lower input. Both would be
> > greatly enhanced, and "solved" by the market if fuels were priced
> > efficiently and not laden with huge subsidies (direct and indirect --
> > that is, not including all costs incurred on society.
> > Welfare-energy-consumers are of course resistant to efficient  market
> > solutions.
> >
> > Sequestration can be direct, like the coal plant pumping CO2
> > underground, or indirect, such as reforestation. 95% of CO2 produced
> > on earth (not the same as that escaping to atmosphere) is 95% or so
> > from natural sources. But nature has an abundance of carbom "sinks"
> > which traditionally have kept CO2 in balance. The 5% man-made carbon
> > had tipped the balance, thus causing a 30% or so increase in
> > atmospheric carbon. By increasing, or even re-establishing, natural
> > carbon sinks -- such as forests --  the greenhouse gas problem looming
> > for future generations could be substantially mitigated.
> >
> > If energy were price to reflect its full  costs, and thus sending the
> > correct price signal in all markets -- hugely important to market
> > economies -- large scale sequestration projects could be funded with
> > no increase on regular taxes. Then those who want to drive a lot,
> > and/or drive  SUVs, can do so to their  hearts content, pay the full
> > cost of such consumption, send the corrrect price signal for energy,
> > and provide for more forests (recretion lands) which could keep CO2 in
> > (or greatly towatds)  balance.
> >
> > Drive and create forest recreation lands! Who doesn't love that.

> Sounds like spin to me. I'd expect to see sequestration used to sell
> [...]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. To you, I suppose it would sound like spin. Something
just made up last month by right-wing spinsters, right? If that is
your view, it is totally uniformed. I dealt professionally with CO2
sequestration and its pricing 15 years ago. And even then, it was an
old, established approach to GCC.

Perhaps read a bit on this "new" concept, obviously (to you and the
guys on the grassy knoll) manufactured just for spin.

http://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+sequestration&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official