> I don't think coal will ever replace oil. Everybody knows the  effect coal
> had in creating acid rain and deforestation around the world.  However it
> will
> still be used at current levels and maybe a little higher or at  least until
> there is a technology to burn significantly  cleaner.

The NY times article that Bob linked to,

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/business/05coalfuel.html

I mainly about turning coal into liquid and gaseous fuels. Not burning it
directly.

I think most of the acid rain is caused by sulferous emmissions. The sulfer can
be
recovered in the processes being used to turn coal into automotive and heating
fuel and
sold for other uses. Appearantly, from the article they can currently produce
diesel fuel
from coal at 1/4 the cost of fuel from petroleum. That's why business is
starting to do it.
They are even using old fertilizer plants to do it. Natural gas is running out
so the gas-to-
fertilizer plants are becoming non-cost effective. They are being turned into
coal
liquification plants without excessive modification. Coal gasification is also
an old
technology. They used to have a plant right here in Fairfield.