(mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com)
> ,  MDixon6569@,  MDi
> >
> > I don't think coal will ever  replace oil. Everybody knows the
effect coal
> > had in creating acid  rain and deforestation around the world.
However it
> will
> > still be  used at current levels and maybe a little higher or at
least
> until
> >  there is a technology to burn significantly cleaner.
> >
> The NY times  article that Bob linked to,
>
> _http://www.nytimes.http://wwhttp://www.nytihttp://www.http_
> (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/business/05coalfuel.html)
>
> I  mainly about turning coal into liquid and gaseous fuels. Not
burning it
> directly.
>
> I think most of the acid rain is caused by sulferous  emmissions.
The sulfer
> can be
> recovered in the processes being used to  turn coal into automotive and
> heating fuel and
> sold for other uses.  Appearantly, from the article they can currently
> produce diesel fuel
> from  coal at 1/4 the cost of fuel from petroleum. That's why
business is
> starting  to do it.
> They are even using old fertilizer plants to do it. Natural gas  is
running
> out so the gas-to-
> fertilizer plants are becoming non-cost  effective. They are being
turned
> into coal
> liquification plants without  excessive modification. Coal
gasification is
> also an old
> technology. They  used to have a plant right here in  Fairfield.
>

> Amazing what economic factors can do in the development of  energy.
And the
> United States has enormous coal reserves. Couple that with other
promising
> technologies in the pipe line, I think there is a brighter day
ahead.  All we
> have to do is make industry aware of the desire for cleaner and more
 efficient
> energy sources.

Price energy to reflect its full explicit and social cost, thus
sending the correct price signal to markets, will change demand
overnight -- and suppliers will get the message loud and clear.

Markets respond to very quickly to prices. Markets are quite efficient
when correct price signals are sent. Markets screw up when full costs
are not reflected in prices.