--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > I'm a bit of a hard case on this subject :-), but I think
> > that trusting *anyone* more than you trust yourself is
> > the culprit here. The problem is not in trusting Maharishi
> > and what he says more than you trust your own perceptions,
> > it's trusting *anyone* -- any authority figure in the
> > world -- more than you trust your own perceptions. The
> > very process of doing this is, in my opinion, contrary
> > to the process of enlightenment.
>
> This-your paragraph right about this-seems to be very mythic
> as Joseph Campbell talks so clearly about. It's the story of
> the young child totally trusting the parents and, as they get
> older, they eventually reject the parent and usually go through
> a period of disdain for the parents. He gives many examples of
> this and literature is filled with the same. Good reminder
> Barry, thanks.

A gal I knew from another spiritual trip had an inter-
esting theory about this stuff. She felt that although
there is a lot of variety among the spiritual seekers
one finds in this world, basically you can pretty
safely "sort" them into two categories.

The first category is composed of the seekers who are
content with reading about other people's adventures.
They get off on scriptures and tales of other people's
enlightenment, and on intellectual discussions of other
people's experiences, and that's enough for them.

The second category is composed of mystics, those who
will settle for nothing less than having their *own*
experiences. Reading about them isn't enough; talking
about them isn't enough; coming up with entertaining
(but essentially worthless) models to "explain" the
experiences isn't enough. They want the Real Thing,
and if the spiritual group or teacher they're assoc-
iated with isn't providing it, they move on to some-
thing that does.

I've always tended to agree with her assessment. In
general, the people in the first group say "Maharishi
says" (or "<Fill-in-name-of-teacher-or-historical-saint
here> says") a lot. Because they're not actually *having*
very many spiritual experiences, they assume that no one
else is either, and therefore they become dependent on
intellectual analysis of Other People's Experiences,
especially those of their teacher, whom they *imagine*
is having all *sorts* of good experiences.

Mystics have more of a Nike mindset: Just Do It. They
don't get off on talking about it; they're lookin' for
some action.

In my experience, whether or not one actually experiences
enlightenment in this lifetime has a lot to do with which
of these groups one falls into. Suffice it to say that
it's a lot like the difference between people who read a
lot about sex and do research on sex and wax philosophical
about sex on the one hand, and on the other, those who
actually get laid.  :-)