On Jul 25, 2006, at 6:56 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

Spraig, I am disappointed. But by your logic you must contact both the

TM's Website and Doug Birx who both refer to the practice of  TM as

"transcending".  Your misinterpretation of what I said, trying to

apply it to the mechanics of meditation, as if I were speaking during

a checking session, is absurd.  But you have one more chance to

explain how my use of the term is different from Doug's use.  The verb

transcending combines inward and outward strokes.  In the context both

Doug and I are using it, discussing the value of the practice, his

high, mine low, it was a perfectly legitimate word.  You are right

that I could have referred to it as TM, and so could Doug.  So could

the TM org site when it speaks of  "the timeless message of

Transcending ".   But both of us used the more technical term.  Adding

"process" or "value" or "technique" added nothing to the discussion.

This is a clear case of you putting what I said in a context I clearly

did not mean in a transparent attempt to discredit my personal

experience of giving up TM.  It also pissed on  a very nice parade of

 Off World and I sharing very different conclusions about the practice

in the spirit of understanding.  You have an unfriendly agenda here.

You knew exactly what I meant, didn't you?

Resist the dark side Luke.  You are better than this.

Let's clarify by referring to Mahesh's own (unpublished) translation of the YS of Patanjali and how he *clearly defines* "transcending. In his translation, MMB defines it thusly:

"Yoga is bringing *transcending* to the activity of the mind." This is Mahesh's translation of YS I:2.

Now let's look at the original language of the Ved: Sanskrit, the language of nature, and see what it says.

"yogah chitta vrtti nirodhah"

"yogah" in this sutra can be translated as "yoga (is)".

chiita- means "of the mind field".

vrtti means fluctuations, modifications, activity.

nirodhah means the stopping or controlling of vrttis. In other word it means "transcending". Notice this does not mean "starting mentation again".

Note in this definition there is no mention of an outward stroke. In fact the word for outward stroke, "vyutthana", is not even mentioned. If we want to go further into this and describe clearly how the outward stroke means "failure" (to transcend continuously) all we need to do is look closer at this word. It is quite precise in yogic parlance.

May the force of real transcending be with you!