> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>
> wrote:
> >
> > As I've mentioned before, I think TM people will
> > "join" SSRS in droves after MMY drops the body.
>
> I think you've got something there.
>
> Sadly, the current TMO and the people involved in it are, by
> necessity, guru-followers (if they weren't they would have, by
> necessity of logic and rationality, left long ago).  Without the
> guru figure in MMY, they will seek another out and I don't think a
> Nader Raam with a crown on his head and his weight in gold or a
> Bevan or a John makes it in that category for thoe type of folks.
>
> Throw in MMY's "we are satisfied" declaration and you've got, after
> his death, the making of a Route 66 right to SSRS's camp.

Got to agree with Dr. Pete and Shemp here.
The people who are still part of the TMO
at this point pretty much need someone to
tell them how to live their lives. They'll
need to fill that void with someone *else*
to tell them how to live their lives. I
don't know much about SSRS, but if he does
*not* do things that way, they'll keep
looking until they find someone who does.

I've seen it all before, with the people
who were still TBs at the end of the Rama
trip. When he died, there were two basic
types of former students -- the ones who
had walked away on their own before he
died, and the ones who hadn't. In general,
those who had chosen to take their own
path have continued on it, and have *not*
flocked to new gurus and and a new person
to tell them how to live their lives. But
those who stuck it out to the end were
courting other gurus within a couple of
months. And always the ones with a similar
profile to Rama himself -- flashy, non-
traditional, and surrounded with rumors
of a certain lack of ethics with regard
to their students.

To his credit, one can make a case that
Rama *tried* to push a lot of us away
towards the end. In general, the ones who
took the hint and left are doing well now,
and show a great deal of balance in their
lives. The ones who hung in until the bitter
end (and it *was* bitter...he killed himself),
equally in general, are still guru-hopping,
and haven't shown much indication of being
able to find their own path, or to follow
someone else's with some sense of balance.

It's a fascinating scene. My bet is that
it's about the same in any spiritual trip
that centers on a living charismatic teacher.

What's even *more* fascinating is the Next
Generation -- the ones who were never part
of the tradition while the teacher was alive,
but feel that thet they are "receiving com-
munications" from him now that he's dead.
I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of that
with regard to Maharishi, both from the current
TBs, and the next generation that they recruit.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/zAINmC/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM