]...\
> At least Fred Travis is trying to ground his
> theorizing with up-to-date brain functioning theory
> and EEG studies. He also doesn't regress into
> metaphorical analogies that are closer to phrenology
> than neurology.

There's more to the theory than that, of course. I mean, HOW does TM lead to
this state in
the first place and how does it keep going? Fred is feeding me the theory in
bits and
pieces as I try to animate it. Right now I'm still at step one, showing the
initial input from
the eye, through optic nerve into the thalamus, where most of the data is fed
directly to
the primary visual cortex, percolates through the rest of the visual cortex and
the
temporal lobe, and then sent back to the thalamus to merge with the incoming
visual
signal. Once I get that looking pretty (or at least quasi-acceptable), we'll go
to step two, to
show what happens when one closes one's eyes, where the initial input ceases,
but the
feedback loop tends to continue for a bit.

 The "inner tv screen" of your mind really IS like one in a certain respect:
the pattern of
activation of the rods and cones in the brain is kept intact, almost like a
bitmapped image,
all the way through the thalmus into the visual cortex.  There's pretty much a
one-to-one
correspondance between the raw data collected from the retina through the optic
nerve
back to the back of the head. The primary visual cortex is practically in a
straigh line
drawn from the eye through the thalamus to the back of the head and the info,
while its
been split and inverted along the way, is pretty much in the same overall
pattern as it was
during the original physical impact of photons on the retina. IOW, if the nerve
bundle were
a fiber optic cable, you could aim it at a regular screen and you would see
pretty much the
original image that hit the eye or at least half of it, upside down--the other
half goes to
the other half of the brain..

wha's amazing is that the output  from the processed image gets fed back into
the original
raw data stream in some kind of "meaningful" way after having been processed by
100's of
millions of neurons in half a dozen different parts of the brain with
presumably radically
different processing styles. That's where the miracle part comes in, IMHO.

Smadhi itself is overwhelmingly simple by comparison.