All that can safely said is that the bija mantras pre-date our age.

People stuck for something to say tend to go 'uuuummmmmm', which is
just about how the pranava bij mantra is correctly spelt i.e. Long uu
& long nasal M. That appears to be natural, and is likely to predate
experiments with mantra meditation.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason" <premanandpaul@>
wrote:

> > Whether 'associated' or 'name', at least one TM bij mantra is a
> > familiar name for a Hindu god, in fact it is a fairly common name
in
> > India. In fact Google has no fewer than 11,500 images associated
with
> > just one spelling of the 'name' (& 2,940,000 hits webwide).
> > Indeed corruptions of other TM mantras are also popular names.
> >

> No doubt, but this is a relatively modern tradition, is it not? The
bija mantras may predate
> the Vedic age in India...
>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote: