The cult/thought reform information was useful for me but it may not
be for everyone.  There are ways to understand it that don't involve
seeing yourself as a victim.  As a teacher my first instinct in
learning about this aspect of groups was to decide that I couldn't
ethically teach the system to others.  I decided that before I stopped
meditating.  I felt as though the way the information was imparted was
not done in a manor that I was comfortable with.  But everyone has to
decide for themselves if this information is useful for their lives.

Once I learned about it, I sought it out.  That was my choice.  It may
not be yours or you may have already checked it out and decided it
doesn't apply.  But learning about how groups can shift beliefs
doesn't make you a victim unless you want it to.  It is just an
influence.  There are a lot of factors that influence its
effectiveness.  We are social primates and that had implications.

I liked Margret Singer personally, and felt she was making a
contribution to our understanding of group belief dynamics.  Her heart
was in the right place and she was a deep thinker. May she rest in peace.