> On Aug 27, 2006, at 10:07 AM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > Also absolutely correct, and also absolutely irrelevant.
> >
> > Look, let's make it *real simple*.
> >
> > If I were to say, "George Bush says God tells him
> > what to do," would you automatically assume I
> > believed God tells George Bush what to do?
> >
> > Or would you need some *context* to determine
> > whether that's what I believed?
>
> Judy, you might not do this, but when people are trying
> to make a point, and they offer quotes, it is usually as
> *evidence* or backup that what they said is true.  What
> you are saying is that people are offering MMY's quotes
> whether or not they believe them to be true, whether or
> not they back up their (the poster's) point.

It depends entirely on what the poster's point *is*.

We have frequent discussions here about what MMY
thinks about something or other, and people quote him
to back up their assertions as to what he thinks.
In many cases the poster's point is that what MMY
thinks is crazy, or wrong, or a lie.  They don't
quote him because they believe what he says is true,
they quote him to back up their point about what
he thinks.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.  If
Barry, for example, has said that MMY has lost it,
and then quoted MMY as saying the world is going
to end if TM-Sidhas don't all go to the domes,
would you assume Barry believes the world is about
to end if TM-Sidhas don't all go to the domes?  Or
would you assume that Barry is quoting MMY to back
up his point that MMY has lost it?

> I'd say the context in which this happens on this board
> pretty much negates that, and it's nuts to think otherwise.

Pretty much negates what?  I'm not following.
Seems to me it's more often the case on this
forum that people quote MMY when they *don't*
agree with him than when they do.

> You and other pro-TMers who use
> MMY's quotes to back up what you've said either believe them to be
> true--or else are trying to deceive.  So which is it?

False dichotomy.  Nobody's trying to deceive.

As to whether pro-TMers believe MMY's quotes to be
true, it depends entirely on what we're using the
quotes to back up.  Please see the example I just
gave Curtis re MMY as male chauvinist.  In that case
I would be using the quote to back up my view that
MMY is a male chauvinist, not to back up a belief
that women should stay in the home and raise
children, because I don't believe that at all, and
it wasn't the issue in any case.  The issue was
*what* he has said, not whether what he has said
is *true*.  Those are two separate issues.

In other cases I might well use a MMY quote to
back up something I believed--but you'd have to
know the *context*.  What point was I making?
What was I responding to?  If someone claims that
TM requires effort, and I disagree, I might quote
MMY to the effect that TM should be effortless.
If my point is that TM is effortless, then you
can assume I'm quoting MMY because I believe what
he says is true.

It all depends on the context, Sal.  Go back to
the beginning: It's the difference between what
MMY has said, and whether what he has said is
true.

I'm making an incredibly simple point, one that
isn't the slightest bit controversial, but you're
so anxious to dump on me that you've gotten it all
tangled up in a very elaborate misunderstanding.

*That's* the kind of thing that impedes honest
communication.