-From Hinduism Today:

PASSED ON: Senior, retired, Shankaracharya of Jyotir Peeth, Swami
Shantanand Saraswati Ji Maharaj, age ninety, on December 7, 1997, in
Allahabad, India. Senior leaders of the VHP participated in final
rites. Swami became Shankaracharya in 1953 after the death of his
guru, Brahmanand Saraswati. Swami Basudevanand Saraswati is his
successor.

-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The photo was taken some years ago, perhaps the time when MMY took
> the stage with Shantanand?
> Don't know if/when Sattyanand passed on, the best I have is your
> mention of him about a year ago.....included in the discussion
about
> the killing of bugs #56705
> If anyone has any bio on Sattyanand I could add a page on him to
Guru