--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason" <premanandpaul@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Guru Dev repeatedly said that he was not forwarding his own beliefs,
> > but those of the Shastras & that others should live by the Shastras,
> > & not by their own initiative.
>
> Yes, I believe so. But even the understanding of what the shastras are
> saying can vary. The Shastras at places contradict themselves. As you
> can see, there are even different practises in the Dasanami
> Sampradaya, which was founded by Shankara. Shankara himself stated in
> a famous poem, (not literally):
> 'He who knows this Brahman, he is my teacher, be he Brahmin or
> Chandala.' This is also Shastra.

Sanskrit scripture evolved over time, just as with other religions. a word that
had one
meaning at one point in time might have an entirely different meaning 200 years
later.
MMY sidesteps the whole issue by taking the broadest possible interpretation of
categories, and assuming that the details are modified by Nature as appropriate
for a
given society in a different era. IOW, what does it mean to practice compassion
anyway?

And "fidelity in marriage" has a radically different meaning for a land-owning
female in
18th Century Tibet as compared to a female living in 21st Century Tehran.