> <shempmcgurk@>

> > > <shempmcgurk@>
> > > <snip>

> of
> > >
> > > Well, obviously it isn't *censorship*, because the
> > > obligation involves *more* speech, not *less* speech.
> > >
> > >   And such an obligation (I'm still waiting to see where in
> > diversion
> > >
> > > Oh, my goodness, no, it's not a diversion.  Hard
> > > to understand how you could have missed the connection.
> > >
> > > ..AND definitely doesn't justify your
> > >
> > > You forgot, I don't advocate censorship, I'm immovably
> > > opposed to it.

> > > Here's an excerpt from a discussion thereof
> > > (there are many such discussions on the Web
> > > if you care to search for the phrase):
> > >
> > > In essence, the public interest standard in broadcasting has
> > > attempted to invigorate the political life and democratic
culture
> > of
> > > our nation. Commercial broadcasting has often performed this
task
> > > superbly. But when it has fallen short, Congress and the FCC
have
> > > developed new policy tools that try to achieve those goals.
> > Specific
> > > policies try to foster diversity of programming, assure
candidate
> > > access to the airwaves, provide diverse views on public
issues,
> > > encourage news and public affairs programming, promote
localism,
> > > develop quality programming for children, and sustain a
separate
> > > realm of high-quality, noncommercial television programming.
> >
> > Nothing cited above supports your contentions.
> >
> > All the worthy principles cited apply to broadcasting IN
GENERAL.
> > It does NOT apply to a single broadcaster such as ABC.
>
> So it's your contention that this policy is to be
> invoked only when *all* of commercial broadcasting
> has fallen short of these goals?

It's a policy, not a law.

That means that it is there to guide regulators as to what they want
the airwaves to produce.  It is NOT a license to force a single
network to have all sorts of points of view on one subject.

> Please.  Do you read what you write?
>
> > Of course you and I and everyone wants diversity and as many
> > opposing points of view on as many subjects as possible.  And
> > that's what we get with a free press because the more "speakers"
> > who are allowed to express their views, the more diversity you
get.

> > But that principle doesn't -- and absolutely MUST NOT! -- bind
an
> > individual speaker or single broadcast outlet to having more
than
> > one point of view always on one subject.
> >
> > And that, my dear, is what we were discussing: requiring ABC to
> > edit and/or censor their creation.
>
> It's amazing how often you've gotten this wrong.
> Nobody is *requiring* ABC to do anything.
>
> MDixon gets this.  Why is it so horribly confusing
> to you?

Because I think in terms of freedom, not restriction as you do.

Come on, can't you find anything in writing that is the "obligation"
for a single broadcaster to have all points of view?

Come on, I'm waiting.

> > So what you found above is zero support for what you said.
> >
> > Come up with something else, please.
>
> No, that'll do the job quite nicely, thanks.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: