I agree. It was actually a very scholarly speech,
delivered to a scholarly audience. Everything he
said was well-quoted, and attributed to the people
who said it; none of it was his ideas alone. That
said, what the Islamic community is overreacting
to is that the sources he quoted really took a
Medieval view of both Islam and Christianity. At
that time, there was no real concept of "jihad,"
or holy war. He was quoting from periods before
that perversion of the original ideas of the
prophet had taken over the religion.

I'm *not* a fan of this Pope, but I read the whole
speech and I think he didn't do anything wrong
here. It's an overreaction by Muslims who have
been brainwashed to believe that their prophet
really taught them to wage holy war. In other words,
as far as I can tell they're blasting the Pope for
knowing more about the history of their religion
than they do.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Pope's recent speech the Muslims feel so agitated about is really
> very good. It is about the old historical connection Christianity in
> its essence has to reason due to strong Hellenistic influences from
> the times of the inception of Christianity. He also mentions that this
> adherence to reason has not always been a lived reality in
> Christianity especially during the Middle Ages. He states that Europe
> has got moulded to what it is nowadays under a strong influence of a
> Christian religion that sees God revealing himself as logos. "In the
> beginning was the logos, and the logos is God", declares Evangelist
John.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html

> Irmeli

<*> Your email settings: