> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > > In other words, as far as I can tell they're blasting
> > > the Pope for knowing more about the history of their
> > > religion than they do.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/frea5
>
> From the Times of London:
>
> Times Online September 15, 2006
> How an emperor's words landed the Pope in trouble
> By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent of The Times
>
> Even his critics are agreed that the Pope did not intend to cause
> offence to the world's Muslims....The Pope's mistake was his
failure
> to distance himself from the Byzantine Emperor's comments....
>
> And his address is undermined further by a serious error in regards
> to the Koran....[He said,] "The emperor must have known that surah
> 2,256 reads:`There is no compulsion in religion.' It is one of the
> suras of the early period, when Mohammed was still powerless and
> under threat."
>
> In fact, this surah is held by Muslim scholars to be from the
middle
> period, around the 24th year of Mohammed's prophethood in 624 or
625,
> when he was in Medina and in control of a state. Contrary to what
the
> Pope said, this was written when Mohammed was in a position of
> strength, not weakness.
>
> ...Professor Hans Kung, a former colleague of his when at Tubingen
> university, agrees that the Pope did not intend to provoke Muslims.
>
> "He is very interested in dialogue with all religions. But using
this
> quotation and his whole approach to Islam in the lecture was very
> unfortunate," he said....
>
> "This just shows the limits of the theologian Joseph Ratzinger. He
> never studied the religions thoroughly and very obviously has a
> unilateral view of Islam and the other religions."
>
> The Pope has a history of criticism of Islam. According to another
> leading Catholic...Benedict XVI believes that Islam cannot be
> reformed and is therefore incompatible with democracy....Father
> Joseph Fessio...said the Pope believes that reform of Islam is
> impossible "because it's against the very nature of the Koran, as
> it's understood by Muslims."...
>
> Another senior Catholic source also described the Pope's use of the
> Byzantine emperor's comments as"extraordinary"...: "He is fully
> entitled to raise the issue of Islamist terror of course, but in
this
> address he is not really doing that....He should have said the
> emperor's comments were deplorable, and that he also recognised the
> reality of Christian violence, then there might not be such trouble
> now."

It's hard to imagine a more stupid and provocative statement on
Ratfinger's part -- if the Pope goes ahead with his visit to Turkey
(unlikely), he'd better slap on another layer of bulletproof glass
(wasn't the last guy to shoot a Pope a Turk?).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: