--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> If you can provide examples where the electoral college and senate
> system (as well as jerrymandering, corrupt campaign finance and
> lobbying, out-of-distric funding of local elections) etc, helps any
> minorities in the US in substantive and sustained ways, I would
give
> your arguments more credence and support.

First all of, I'm still waiting for YOU to tell us where in the
world the one-man-one-vote rule -- which you claim is the standard --
 exists.

As for jerrymandering, I specifically said I didn't support
that...so why are you asking me for examples of it?  As for the
other things, I didn't mean to give you the impression that I
thought they were for supporting minorities.

I'm obviously NOT for corruption in campaign financing or any other
area of life.  But it's quite a subjective thing in the area of
campaign financing to claim that this or that practise is "corrupt".

I'm for laissez-faire in this area.  I don't give a rat's ass how
much is spent or by whom in any campaign.  In this day and age of
the internet, if people are going to be fooled by a TV campaign ad,
then they will get the government they deserve.

Campaign finance laws do more damage than good.

> A proposal that would actually be in the direction of protecting
> minority rights (and one needs to first make a case that rights are
> being violated) would be to guarantee all native americans of 50%
or
> greater NA heredity living on reservations 10-20 house seats. And
> perhaps 30 seats to all living below 15,000 / income.  Then the
> structure would appear, at least on the surface to protect
minority*
> or more importantly, underpriveledged rights. i might tend to
support
> such a system, if we could reform the other non-democratic aspects
of
> US political system.
>
> * I don't see reasons to absolutely focus on "minority rights" if
such
> are not being abused. Asian indians or japanese imigrants are a
> minority but seem to do quite well in the US. Why give a particular
> minority class special priviledges if they are as a class already
> quite priviledged?

I'm not necessarily for or against minority protections.  I brought
up that example to counter your sweeping claim that one-man-one-vote
was the "standard" for democracy when it clearly isn't.

By the way, I'm still waiting for some examples of this standard.

<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > > It's not so much a globbing on to power as it is a protection
> > > against the misuse of power by a majority.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: