--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just cannot see the speech as offensive. The quotation becomes
> offensive only,  when it is taken out of the context of the whole
speech.
> The pope is quoting a Christian Byzantine Emperor, who is trying to
> challenge an educated Persian by his claims and questions.
> I have very difficult to imagine that the Christians would feel
deeply
> hurt and offended had the claim been made by a muslim about
> Christianity.

It really depends who holds global power. Muslims feel under attack
nowadays by Christians, so there is a strong tendency by Muslims to
feel every slight, real or imagined, because it is the Christians
who are in power. Those who would view this situation logically or
dispassionately miss this point.

There is a popular talk show host on TV in the USA, Dr. Phil McGraw,
("Dr. Phil") who speaks about 'psychological sunburn'- a phenomenon
whereby a person or group feel so upset about the practices of
another, that even expressions that are not offensive, but that
remind the upset group of abuse, are only dealt with by outbursts of
violence and anger.

The situation isn't helped any by those in the West who then point
to this logically misplaced anger and declare the angry group as
extremists and madmen.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: