I did not know about this. This I why I stopped eating
apples.  They're too firm and I can't buy ripe ones
anywhere. They don't ripen at home, eiher, and leaving
them out for a month in the hopes they will ripen
attracts fruit flies. Yes, I have actually left them
out that long.

It sounds like this chemical works too well.

--- bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/dining/25fruit.html

> "THE apples of autumn are as crisp and juicy as
> ever. But most will
> be staying that crisp and juicy, if less aromatic,
> months longer
> because of a gas called SmartFresh that growers and
> packers are using
> to slow ripening.
>
> SmartFresh is just starting to be used effectively
> on produce other
> than apples. Cantaloupes and bananas treated with it
> are already
> being sold.
>
> Officials of the manufacturer, AgroFresh, as well as
> apple
> wholesalers, say that 55 to 60 percent of the apples
> sold in the
> United States are treated with SmartFresh, a
> synthetic gas introduced
> in 2002. The cost to growers is about a penny for
> every pound of
> apples, and the treatment is most likely harmless to
> humans,
> according to pesticide experts.
>
> The gas blocks the ripening effect of ethylene, a
> natural plant
> hormone that makes fruit ripen and eventually decay.
> A six-month-old
> Jonagold treated with SmartFresh is as firm as one
> stored for two
> months under traditional methods, and a Red
> Delicious stays crunchy
> for three weeks after storage, instead of one,
> according to James
> Mattheis, a postharvest physiologist for the federal
> Agriculture
> Department in Wenatchee, Wash.
>
> Since the 1960's growers have kept apples firm in
> warehouses by
> reducing oxygen and raising carbon dioxide levels in
> what is called
> controlled atmosphere storage. That has allowed some
> varieties to be
> sold all year, although they don't keep their full
> flavor and can go
> soft and mealy in stores and homes.
>

> To subscribe, send a message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]