In a message dated 1/9/07 4:25:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I see  Iran's moves as purely defensive. They *know* Israel
has nuclear weapons.  They have been called part of an axis of evil
by the most powerful  militarist country in the world. So, now
everything Iran does  geopolitically is seen as agression towards
Israel and the US, when in  fact they are probably scared sh*tless,
by the prospect of a military  strike against them, and have been for
a long time. Why the US thinks it  appears at all reasonable, modern
and sane when viewed from Iran is beyond  me.

I don't doubt that  you do see Iran's moves as purely defensive. Why  hasn't
Syria done the same? Iran hasn't been called an axis of evil for  nothing.
They have been a state sponsor of terrorism for decades as has Syria.  There
are
not that many countries, European or Islamic, that would  characterize them
any differently either. Yet everybody has been content to  negotiate with them
while they, Iran, works desperately to develop nuclear  energy everybody knows
they don't need but only want   for military  purposes. Nobody has posed a
military threat to Syria and nobody has posed a  military threat to Iran until
they started developing a nuclear program  and  repeatedly threatened to wipe
Israel off the face of the earth. Not  only is Israel upset at the prospect of
Iran trying to use nukes to destroy  them, but Sunni Muslim nations fear Iran
trying to use nukes against them and  now are threatening to start their own
programs in self defense against  Iran.  So in short, both Syria and Iran
sponsor terrorism and call for the  destruction of Israel yet the world deals
with
each differently because of  political posturing and Iran is hell bent of
getting nukes with which they could  actually do it with.