Hello Faust community,

In my quest to better interact with Faust users and devs, I used the Slack channel (after a long period of inactivity on Slack); it worked except that because old messages are automatically deleted, Discord is now preferred. But it kicked me because I was using an alternative client (a plugin for Pidgin), something I learned is forbidden. So now I'm being asked to provide my phone number to be verified, something I refuse. Hoping I could still join he party, I sent a message to Discord, asking how I could get in. I came to the conclusion that it won't happen, and it's for the best. I'm not asking the Faust community to choose some other messaging platform, so have fun and stay safe.

Here's my instant conversation with a friendly "AI" bot named "Clyde" (I received the email a few seconds after I submitted the online form):

---

Hey Marc,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Sorry for the inconvenience. Please take a look at the following solutions below and see if any of those fit and resolve your current situation.

*Are you being prompted for phone verification at login?*
If our detection system has triggered a phone verification for your account, you'll be required to register a phone number to your Discord account in order to continue its use. We're unable to lift phone verification requirements on any accounts.

*Are you receiving an invalid phone number error message?* nVOIP, Burner/Prepaid, and Landline numbers cannot be used to complete verification. If you're using one of these lines, it will not be able to successfully complete verification. - You must use a mobile phone number to verify your account. If your phone number still isn't working, make sure you select the correct country code and double check that the full number was entered correctly.

*Do you have an alternate account, or have you helped a friend complete their phone verification?* - If so, your phone number might be on timeout. Unfortunately, we cannot lift this timeout, and you will need to wait for the end of the timeout to use the phone number once more, or use a different number to verify the account. Here's a link with more information as well: https://support.discord.com/hc/articles/360000961212-Invalid-Phone-Number

If you have any other questions or are still having issues with your phone number showing up as invalid or not receiving the text message, let us know:
- Full phone number you're trying to register/verify
- Screenshot of the error message you're seeing

*Are you trying to verify your phone for a server?*
If there's a server that has requested you to verify your email or phone number before accessing the server, we sadly won't be able to bypass that requirement, and you'll need to contact the server admins to ask if they can take away the requirement, or assign a role to your account. More info about this process here: https://support.discord.com/hc/articles/216679607-What-are-Verification-Levels-

Hopefully one of these solutions was helpful for you! If not, please let us know as well as follow up with the relevant information (phone number / screenshot of any error messages).

Best,
Clyde - Discord Support Bot.

*Marc*

Mar 15, 2023, 09:19 PDT

I'm part of a online community that switched from Slack to Discord, and I used a third party client for the Pidgin software; I was able to use it a few time, then it stopped working. I then tried to login with a web client (also the Electron based client) but a verification procedure with a telephone number is imposed. Included is a screenshot of the dialog from the Discord client (on Linux).

I don't want to provide my phone number for the verification, I'd prefer my account to be verified in some other way (email, F2A, whatever, except using my phone, either its number or an app). In other words: can you please let me in?

N.B. The phone number I provided in this form is not real,;I entered it so my message can reach you.

Thanks for your comprehension and your help.
Marc

---