I just walked into a bookstore and I was looking for a  book that I hadn't 
read. Some guy asked who I had read. I told him and he suggested Magician. Best 
literary decision I've made yet.

Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

----- Reply message -----
From: "Nick Andrews" <[email protected]>
To: "feistfans-l" <[email protected]>
Subject: How did you find Magician?
Date: Fri, Oct 21, 2011 18:32
A friend loaned me the purplish paperback in 86 I think, so I was 14.
My brother works for the town of Prescott and lives in PC!
Nick A 
On Oct 21, 2011 4:18 PM, "Nat Russo" <[email protected]> wrote:
I joined back in '95, when I got my very first internet connection 
(a dial-up SLIP account through Northern Arizona University).  Life intrudes 
every couple of years and I go for an extended period of time without checking 
this particular mail folder, but I always wind up coming back.



I was about 12 years old when I discovered Magician.  It was around the same 
time Magician had been split into two paperback volumes here in the U.S.  As a 
person of refined literary taste, I had only two criteria for buying a new 
paperback:



1.  It MUST have "cool cover art".2.  It MUST be one of a series.  None of that 
"standalone" crap.  REAL fantasy readers read series, after all.



Not too bad of a list for a 12 year old :)  That's about as "refined" as it got 
back then :)
I walked into the local B. Dalton book store in Prescott, Arizona, and headed 
straight for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section.  I immediately saw "Magician: 
Apprentice" and "Magician: Master".  So, criterion #2 was satisfied.  I was 
even more excited when I opened "Magician: Master" to the final pages and saw 
the teaser for "Silverthorn".



I gave the books a quick once-over and loved the cover art.  So, criterion #1 
was satisfied.  I left the store with both books and I've been a fan ever since.
That being said...I am SERIOUSLY behind in my Feist reading!



Nat

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Ray Chiang <[email protected]> wrote:



I used to buy new books based on the cover and reading the first and last 10 
pages or so.  If it was enough to catch my interest, I'd buy it.  That's 
happened with Magician:Apprentice back in a B. Dalton's Bookseller in a nearby 
shopping center.  I'm not 100% certain of the date, but it had to be before 
1987, since I had to wait for the paperback version of A Darkness at Sethanon.






I joined the mailing list either Fall 95 (my recollection) or Fall 96 (the 
earliest emails I can find in my archives).



And finally, I'm still waiting on the first Riftwar Saga for the Kindle.  I've 
got two of the books in the entire Midkemia series, but hoping to eventually 
get the rest at some point...



-Ray



On 10/21/2011 12:22 PM, Tim Hickey wrote:




I've been a member of the list for a while, but I haven't posted... I was 
wondering how everyone found Magician when you read it the first time.



I went to Marist High School in Chicago and my freshman literature teacher, 
Mrs. Littleton had us read both, Apprentice and Master, for class... I have 
been in love with the story ever since. It is now 17 years later and it is the 
only series of books (really the only books) that I read... I always read the 
newest book in 1-2 days (which causes some rough mornings the next day).

Reply via email to