Hi Quentin,
It sounds like you are just about where I am in being
informed about how to treat a FeLV+ kitten. I came to
this group to learn all I could from the people here,
who that have been here, for a while and are
experienced in caring for their Feline Leukemia
Positive Kitties.
 I have read every post for a month and have never
seen anyone mention Valtrex. Where did you see where
Valtrex might be helpful in the treatment of FeLV?
 My five month old kitten was one of six kittens who
contracted FeLV through her mother. Her mother tested
positive, as did a couple of her siblings. I do not
know if all siblings tested positive, but I did read
if the mother is positive 100% of the kittens will
test positive.
My kitten had been bounced around to seven different
homes before she came to me. I am counting the shelter
she came from, three foster homes, then to me , then
two more foster homes, then back to me. She is with me
now. We are getting a routine... Her situation is not
perfect , because she has to be seperated from my
other cats and spends a lot of time alone. I try to
give her a couple hours each day of love and time with
me. I do let her in the yard to climb trees and follow
me around while I weed and work in my flowers. Then it
is back to a small area in my basement where she is
now free outside of her large dog kennel and has her
food, water,toys...She is a very loving ,sweet, social
and energetic little girl and hates being alone. I'm
telling you this , because it is not perfect, but
probably less stressfull than being unsure of her
environment and not having any security.She does feel
at home now...
If you have only your one little girl kitty, she
should have no stress in her life and obviously all
your love.
I'm still trying to understand the difference between
faint positives and strong positives...From what I
have been reading, a faint, could mean either, she was
just exposed or she is early into her disease?  I have
a vet that simply told me, a positive is a positive.
She would not tell me if my little girl was faint or
strong, but it looked quite clear to me ,so it was
probaly a strong pos. My vet does try to be gentle
with me. When it was realized my kitten was infected
through her mother, my vet did give me hope by saying,
often when the virus comes through the queen, the
kittens have a good chance of throwing it. Then I hear
too if it is an exposure, they have a good chance of
throwing it.
I give my kitten 500mg of Lysine a day and a
multi-vitamin and a good diet. I really appreciated
Wendy's advice to you and for now I'd would go with
what she is telling you. There are so many good ideas
here and it is great to have these people with all
their accumulated information and experience to advise
you. If I were a vet, I would try to learn from these
guys. Sadly, most vets are not as informed as we all
might hope...That is why we are here..
.Again, where did you come up with the Valtrex idea?
For all we know, you may have come across something
important, that none of us have seen yet? However, it
is probably best to go with the medications and
supplements proven effective and safe over time...
I'm glad you found this group. You will really enjoy
and learn from these guys. Glenda

--- Quentin Sonnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a sweet little black with white tip
> girl and I took her to the vet to get treated and
> wormed. We had her tested and she had a very faint
> positive for FeLV. I've been reading up on
> treatments and anti virals and I was wondering if it
> would be a good/ bad idea to give her low dose of
> valtrex? Any help or ideas would be greatly
> appreciated. The kitten is about 4 months old and
> VERY energetic.
> Quentin Sonnier

> for the edge of your seat?
> http://tv.yahoo.com/