there are a couple of websites you can find with just normal searches that
explain what all the test values should be, so you can help evaluate your
vet's evaluation. i think i found them through a, "feline blood test
results" search. (i'm still not back on my main computer, so can't find half
my stuff.)

even some of the "standards" are different--i think it seemed as if they
might have changed in the past years? so some vets may be working with older
guidelines.

and it's not ALWAYS the numbers--it's the constellation of symptoms that
count. a cat can have HORRIBLE numbers, but be so strong, or have more
things to accomplish on its journey here, that it stays around way longer
than it "should"--likewise, a kitty who tests out fine can crash in less
than 24 hours.

learn what values are most important in what conditions: belinda listed the
ones for kidney problems; there's a different set for liver. that way, if
you vet says your cat's bun is really high, and it's 36, you can say, um,
well....

perhaps the most valuable thing this list can teach us is NOT to assume that
our veterinarians know everything, or have encountered everything. what
matters is their willingness to learn, to be open to our questions and the
information we bring them from our own sources, and their commitment to we,
their clients, and our cats.

MC

--

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!