Yes,..she actually loved Monkee.  She never narrowed her eyes at him or hissed.
 She truly liked him.  Over time they became buds thru the barrier of the porch
between them and I really felt she conforted him and provided him company in
the last months of his life when he wanted to do nothing but sit on the porch
by himself- with her at the front door.  He would paw at the male cats under
the front door and huff and puff at them, but he never did to her.  I think he
had a crush on her!  She is the cat that would follow us around when Monkee
went for walks on the leash and she was with us at the last walk (his first and
only true leash-less walk b/c with the anemia, he wasn't going anywhere) he had
a few days before he passed where all he really did was lay in the street
pretending he was one of the colony cats...with Lil Girl nearby.  She also
showed up in the early morning hours (she sleeps under my car a lot), when I
took Monkee out of the house in his carrier eventually after he died and she
got to say goodbye.  I wanted her to smell that he wasn't with us any more.
She's my outdoor bud.  I found two tiny dead baby snakes on my property this
summer at separate times (it broke my heart, poor things) and I buried them in
the front yard and Lil Girl "helped" me.  But I got distracted from Lil Girl
because I took in Izzee- who was living in a crate in a garage- and then the
sick kittens, and I had to make quick decisions to help other cats who needed
me more immediately...knowing that I was only further complicating and delaying
the ultimate decision of what to do about Lil Girl when I move!
-Caroline

Subject: RE: Question about outdoor catDate: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:32:10
-0500From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org

Carolyn, you never really know with cats, but MAYBE some of Lil Girl's Queen
Bee attitude would dissipate once she got inside
because in THAT hierarchy she's the new girl in town.  Then again, maybe not,
but it does happen.  Also, if you take the time to
go through the socializing protocols from step one -- caging, food association,
spending time, etc., and introduce the others to her
while she's still in the (mutual) safety of her cage, maybe she will learn to
coexist.  I only have the experience of our former feral Fred,
but in her case, there was never a cage but a room to herself, for months and
months, with my housemate and I coming in
nightly with food and conversation (we read her the 100 Best Fantasy and
Science Fiction Stories ;-)).  Coincidentally, the room has
a gaping hole where the doorknob should be, so she could easily hear the sounds
of the house, and there was a large gap at the
bottom of the door where she would play patty-paw with the others long before
they met face to face.  When we finally opened the
door to them, it was so completely a non-event, most of them just gave her butt
a little sniff and then went over to check that her food
wasn't any better than theirs.

I dunno, I think her barging in and making herself at home so soon after Monkee
died was, well, kind of a sign, don't you, really?

Diane R.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
KaufmannSent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 2:52 PMTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE:
Question about outdoor cat
Well, that is how my Monkee eventually became.  He was living outside, but
likely belonged to someone before (he was neutered).  But Lil Girl is different
because she's not afraid of even ONE thing!  So she definitely doesn't have
that timid, scared feral thing going on.  Monkee was afraid of people and
especially men for a long time.  And actually, if she was more afraid, my mom
and I might be more confident about me taking her b/c we know how to manage
that.  But as she is, her personality...we fear she might just continue to run
roughshod over everything and everyone if we take her in!!!  She looks at my
foster kitties with utter distain from the front door!  I swear, she glares at
them and narrows her eyes like they are just stupid little lunatics (which,
they are!).  But I don't want her terrorizing my mom's cat and my sweet foster
cat Izzee- who's become such a wonderful cat since I took the kittens in.  I
really don't want to do anything that would "offend" Izzee or upset her!  After
Monkee died and I had no cats for about a week, Lil Girl came busting into my
house and on my front, screened porch!  Just marching around investigating like
she owned the place.  She clearly has no fear and she just has that
personality- you can just tell-- of "I'm going to do what I want to do when I
want to do it!"  I've joked to my mom that maybe I will just scoop her up and
put her in my mom's backyard- at least temporarily!  But my mom fears she will
make the "incredible journey" back to her neighborhood/colony
instinctively....?  We feel like we just don't know anything about
colony/outdoor cats like her and don't feel confident in our abilities to make
a decision I guess?-Caroline

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE: Question about outdoor catDate:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:31:45 -0400

TAKE HER!  I was feeding my Romeo for 2 years before I brought him inside.  I
did so only because the temperature was going to below zero and the creeps
whose house he lived under boarded up his access so he had no shelter.  It took
a few weeks of him in a large kennel in my bedroom propped up on some boxes.
Initially, I put his box and his food dish in there & covered all but two sides
with a sheet.  Then I started leaving the door to the kennel open and putting
his food on the floor just below.  Then I brought him to the bathroom around
the corner in the kennel to show him where I was moving the litter box to.  He
started eating/going to the box only when nobody was in the room or at night
when he thought I was asleep.  But sure enough, one day he went out while I was
in the room on my computer and jumped on the bed he’d been eying!  Sure enough,
that did it.  Once he found the creature comforts there was no turning back!
He rarely sits at the window or tries to go out—sort of looks at the other guys
like they’re nuts for wanting to go out!  He is the absolutely most
affectionate cat I’ve ever had.  BUT, the one thing I still can’t do is
actually pick him up.  He’ll sit on my lap (or on my chest when I try to
sleep!) but squirms out real fast if I try to pick him up.  Vet visits &
crating are real tough so I have to keep that to an absolute miminum

Sooo, this little one has already staked you out as hers!  I say take her; keep
her in a big wire cage with some increasing freedoms and watch her become a big
mush!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
KaufmannSent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 3:17 PMTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: OT:
Question about outdoor cat

This is my final question I promise.  But it's been looming over my head for a
long time now and it's really distressing me.  I know I have told you all that
my street has neighborhood 24/7 outdoor cats that technically belong to a lady
a few houses up from me.  But all the neighbors kind of look after them and
some feed/keep water out.  The lady who brought them to the street "rescued"
them from her sister- whom she said wasn't taking care of them- the sister had
not spayed/neutered.  She got connected with one of the local agencies and had
them all fixed for a discount (she is low income).  She already has five indoor
cats so these cats became outdoor cats.  Almost all of them have clipped ears
(except one) that show they have been fixed.  Some of them started out as
indoor/outdoor and then I guess found they liked being like colony cats better
so they pretty much stay out year round.  She has a front porch where she has
boxes set up for them in the winter, etc.  They are all male, except for one.
  I started feeding them too myself when I moved to the street over a year ago
because I didn't know the situation- were they homeless, etc.?  I finally got
the whole story.  There is one, a little girl who I call, "Lil Girl" who pretty
much has re-transplanted herself to my property.  I treated her for tapeworms
and I have been giving her Advantage thru the summer.  I was worried about her
being so small, even tho she's about 5 yo, so I kept feeding her quality food
to beef her up, even after determining her sort-of home situation.  But now she
is a permanent resident pretty much at my front door.  She is there every
morning waiting for me and in the evening. It so sad because I do not own my
house and my landlord needs his house back and I am moving the weekend after
next.  I don't know what to do?  The other outdoor cats who I feed are just
occasional visitors-- they will be fine without me and I will have a talk with
all the neighbors about calling me if something happens and I was going to
leave a couple bags of expensive, quality food with the lady up the street to
feed them, etc.  I know I will stop by a lot to check on them because I am very
tied to the neighborhood by exercise classes I attend, etc.  But I am really
upset about the Lil Girl.  I can't tell if she just hangs out with me and at my
house JUST BECAUSE I feed her and she likes my food better or because she likes
me?  I worry about the effect of my leaving on her?  She'll be waiting for me
the next morning and I won't show?  My landlord is allergic to cats and I doubt
he will be feeding them (I have to have a talk with him about at least being
nice to them tho and letting him know they will be at the door for a while
until they "figure it out."  He's young and a hippy/nature person, so he will
be cool about it, he just won't be the cat-person that I was).  But everytime I
think about Lil Girl, I just want to cry.  She's beautiful, but she's a top
banana- she's runs roughshod over the much larger outdoor boy cats- three and 4
times her size!  It's already going to be crazy enough at my mom's house trying
to integrate my declawed Izzee with my mom's hissing, scratching Tally, my
mom's new Humane Society dog who doesn't like Tally/cats and is still trying to
kill Tally (they are working on it) and then my three crated foster kitties!
Ironically, I think the foster kitties will have the smoothest transition!
They don't ask for much!  My mom and I have gone round and round about what to
do about Lil Girl b/c my mom likes her too and worries about her.  Before I got
the foster kittens, I thought about taking her with me.  I'm pretty sure the
lady up the street would let me have her b/c that would be one less
mouth....but I don't know if Lil Girl could become a house cat?  Would she be
happy, or is there some colony-cat psychology that I would be interfering with?
 I fear she would kill Izzee and Tally given the chance-- or at least beat them
up.  Lil Girl is not feral tho- I can pick her up and hold her- tho it's not
her fave thing.  She seems to just "perfer" to be outside, so it's like she's
somewhere in between, so she presents such a problem for me!? I just don't know
what to do?  I need advice!  Reassurance? -Caroline

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today!

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today! This electronic mail transmission and any attachments are confidential
and may be privileged.
received this
transmission from
are required to