Caroline,
Fred gets fluids everyday and I bet your vet gave you those monster size 18 gauge needles called kitty harpoons on the CRF site. You can order size 20 gauge terumo needles from http://thrivingpets.com/products/item-detail.php?formStockId=392N1, I order Fred's here. They are very sharp and a whole lot smaller than the kitty harpoons, most cats tolerate them very well, since they are very sharp they go in very nicely. It does take a bit longer for the fluids to go through but since it doesn't hurt Fred is fine with it. Fred was a terror when we started fluids, he would bite me, he has been getting them for about a year and a half now and is doing really well. The thing about dehydration is a cat that is dehyrdrated feels pretty crappy, it's equivalent to having a horrible hang over.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com