No, he didn't aspirate.  I gave the water immediately after the doxy so I don't 
know which caused it.  I think he was hyperventilating.  I stayed with him til 
he calmed down and went to sleep, and honestly I'm afraid to go upstairs.  I'm 
sure he does sense my anxiety.  He does not like to be held or confined in any 
manner.  What bugs me though is when we go to the vet, the vet can do anything 
to him, give him pills, take his temp and BooBoo will just go limp, won't 
argue, fight, nothing, just scowel.  

Better go upstairs and make sure he's just sleeping.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: laurieskatz 
  Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 9:02 AM
  Subject: Re: breathing difficulties

  Did he aspirate? Was the problem after the water or after the doxy? Maybe the 
water isn't working with him. I would call the vet and ask about this. Our vet 
told us we had to give the doxy directly (not mixed in food). Midas hated it 

  It's really important thing is for YOU to be calm before you give him the 
meds and don't think about it before you actually do it. This is how I got 
Frankie, a formerly feral kitten, to take inhaled meds. I had to calm my own 
mind. I also think they can sense if we are going to give them a med so I 
didn't think about it before I sat down to do it. It did help. Our cats sense 
our "mood"...I hope this makes sense. I just got up.
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Lynne 
    Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:53 AM
    Subject: breathing difficulties

    I had a frightening event with BooBoo this morning.  He hates being given 
this Doxy and fights me.  I gave him some water via syringe after it as well.  
Suddenly he started gasping for air, breathing through his mouth for about 10 
minutes.  He is anemic and breathes heavily under normal circumstances.  I 
can't imagine what kind of stress the Interferon shots are going to cause him.  
Should I try mixing this Doxy with his wet food?  It's doubtful he would get 
the appropriate dosage if I did because he is a light eater.  I'm beginning to 
think that I'm fighting a losing battle here and perhaps it would be best to 
just let nature take its course without intervention.  I hate this.  One minute 
he seems perky and now he's just exhausted.  I spent the time with him while he 
was having problems breathing comforting him, just to get him settled down and 
even his purring was excessively loud.  I don't know how much more this little 
guy can tolerate.


Reply via email to